Sunday, March 4, 2018

Oops I Did It Again, And Again...

Today is Oscar Sunday, so I'm tickled by the poetic justice of having some thing to write about; (since after all, it was the Oscar's that first inspired me to start blogging.)

So re the title of this post, I'm a klutz from way back.  I've been tripping over my feet, air and any and every little thing, for as long as I can remember; hence the "Oops I did it again".  Now the "And Again" - here we go...


It's been way too long since I last wrote, but I'm delighted to say that Lyndzi's been receiving great acclaim for her art work and she's been entering several contests.  She had been awaiting the announcement of the Valley Metro, Design a Transit Rap Contest, but only found out on Feb 13th that the entry deadline was Feb. 16th.  Lyndzi quickly got to work and created her entry in one day; so our real challenge was how to get her submission downtown in time.  

Before "The Ride" really begins, here are a few background things that you need to know:
1.  Lyndzi entered this same contest last year.  We physically dropped her entry off on the last day of the deadline, but the person that she was supposed to deliver her submission to wasn't in the office.  We left her piece with the desk assistant, but Lyndzi always doubted that her artwork was actually considered; so this year she wanted to have her entry received by 2/15, to give her a little cushion.
2.  I hate driving in any downtown area AND I hate driving places that I'm not familiar with.  For the purpose of this story, let's take hate to mean, it causes me great anxiety.
3.  I had a pedicure appointment scheduled for 4:15 on 2/14. OK, I heard your sigh, but consider this - I hadn't had a pedicure since early November (and yes, the toes in the photo, really are early November pedicure remnants.) ALSO I have such a great pedicurist, it takes weeks for me to get an appointment with her, so cancelling wasn't really an option.

So, given all of the factors above, Lyndzi and I agreed to overnight her art work after school on 2/14, so that it would arrive with time to spare on 2/15.  My plan was to pick Lyndzi up at 220, stop by Fed Ex, pick up Kelsie, stop at the post office (if Fed Ex was too expensive), pick up $5 sushi and cake slices from Fry's (for our Valentine's Day celebration), drop the girls at home and go for my pedicure.  Well, I picked up Lyndzi's drawing and saw that it was drizzling outside.  It had rained earlier, but I didn't have time to spare, so I couldn't look for something to protect the drawing.  In my infinite wisdom, I placed it flat underneath my shirt.  I chose a pair of flip flops to wear (only because I had the pedi appointment coming up) and I walked outside. The ground was wet, I was holding my hand on my stomach to protect the art work, I took the shortest route possible to get into my car, slipped and fell on the cement between my car and the rocks on my driveway.  The pain set in immediately and I screamed out loud (Don't ask what - lol).  I managed to get up, still trying to keep the drawing flat, and made it into my car.  I was crying (and I'm NOT a crier) and I think I said "ow" repeatedly, on the drive to Lyndzi's school.  There were leaves on my shirt, my jeans had torn a bit, and I had mascara running down my face; so needless to say, Lyndzi was quite taken aback when I picked her up.  I explained what happened, and through my sobs, I asked her to text my pedicurist to let her know that I'd just fallen and had to cancel the appointment. Oh the irony!
We picked up Kels, and stopped at Fed Ex. The girls went in without me, and decided that we might be better off mailing the entry from the post office.  On to the post office I drove and waited in the car while the girls went in.  They mailed the submission, so at least that goal was accomplished; and we then drove to Fry's because  I didn't want to disappoint the girls and they agreed that they could go in without me.

I sat in the car, in a good deal of pain and twenty minutes later, I got a text from Lyndzi.  She told me that they had gotten the cake slices, but the kiosk had just run out of sushi and they were going to make more.  I asked if they wanted to wait or come up with a plan B?  Lyndz said that Kelsie said they could wait; so I agreed.  Another hour went by before I heard from them again.  At this point Lyndzi called and explained that the sushi lady was helping other customers before them, even though they'd been waiting longer and ultimately she had made them the wrong thing and they were going to have to keep waiting in order to get part of the order.  I told them to just buy what they had, stop at customer service to tell them about the problem they'd had with the sushi lady and call it a day; because at this point it had been three hours since I had fallen and I was in a lot of pain.

The girls came out of the store crying.  They were upset that they'd made me wait that long, and that everything had gone so badly.  I thought that it was just my sushi that hadn't gotten made, but it turned out that it was Lyndzi's as well; so with that, I told them that I was going to go into the store.  Did you just say "oh no?"  lol  Well, yes I did.  I got out of the car and started limping through the parking lot.  It was raining again, and the ground was slick, so do I really have to say it?  Yup, I slipped AGAIN, and fell in the Fry's parking lot.  3 kind people came to my rescue, and I have to say I feel really badly for the gentleman who helped me up, because I weigh A LOT, AND  I couldn't put any pressure on my ankle.  Hercules managed to get me up and I hobbled into the store.  I texted Kels and asked her to come in because I knew that there was no way that I could make it back to the car on my own.  I went to customer service, and suffice it to say that after talking to the manager and waiting another 25 minutes, I left the store with 2 free sushi rolls and a $25 gift card. (NO, it wasn't worth it.)

I drove home and I don't think I've ever been so happy to get there.  My ankle was terribly swollen and my knee was scraped up, but other than that I wasn't injured, so I considered myself lucky.  I iced it, and elevated it, but I couldn't put any pressure on it, so I used the crutches that Lyndzi had gotten last year, after a soccer injury.  Within 24 hours I thought I could get around without the crutches.  I continued to limp for 13 more days, and since the pain hadn't subsided I decided it was time to go to the doctor.

The medical practice that I go to, can do an xray in their office, so I  thought this would expedite my diagnosis and I made an appointment on Tuesday.  After speaking with the PA, she sent me for an ultrasound, because she suspected that my ankle was fractured. (They can do ultrasounds there too.) She told me that it would take 1-2 days to get the ultrasound results, but if I wanted to, I could get a boot that day, just in case.  I had the ultrasound, and went to get the boot, but the assistant told me that since I have a high deductible on my insurance, I'd have to pay $80 out of pocket.  I thought, if I have to, I will; but since I don't know if it's actually fractured and I've already been walking around on it for almost 2 weeks, I can wait another day or two.  Welllll,, if you've taken "The Ride" before, then you should know that things rarely go as planned for me, and this time was no different.  I called on Thursday afternoon to see when they might have my results and the very nasty associate had no idea and showed no interest in finding out.  She told me that it typically takes 3- 5 business days to get ultrasound results; so I informed her that's not what I'd been told, and I asked her to please have someone get back to me the next day.  I waited till 2:30 on Friday but since I hadn't heard anything I called again.  Blah, blah, blah no results but the associate was a little more compassionate about it.  By 830 Friday night, the PA had sent an email apologizing profusely.  Apparently the tech who was supposed to enter the results had been out sick for 2 days and no one covered for her.  She told me to continue wearing the boot and she would have the results for me first thing Monday morning.  Well, therein lied the problem.  I didn't have the boot, but she didn't know that.  I emailed back and explained that I hadn't actually gotten the boot yet, and THAT was why I was so anxious to get the ultrasound results.  I asked that she please get back to me ASAP and thankfully I received another very apologetic email on Saturday morning.  She told me that she was able to get the results and as they showed a subtle fracture and inflammation, I could pick up the boot before noon that day and I'd need to wear it for 6-8 weeks.  

Lyndzi and I went to pick up the boot, and the techs were quite amused when they asked the size of my foot and I said "very big."  They kindly got me fitted and taken care of; and although I had to pay the $80, they're going to attempt to get me a refund (supposedly.)  I know I have a bit of a battle left with the doctor's office, because sadly it seems difficult for them to do the right thing; but at least for now, I'm on the road to recovery.  I'm still considering myself lucky AND if nothing else, it finally brought me back to "The Bumpy Ride."

Till next time...
Paige

PS - For those of you who are still wondering about the magnetic false eyelashes, I should now have plenty of time to try and figure them out, and blog about that too.

No comments: