Thursday, April 16, 2020

Simple Pleasures

I am a very grateful lady! I give thanks many times a day, for the love, health, friendship and comfort in my life; for I know what it's like not to have these things.  Perhaps it's my attitude of gratitude that enables me to delight in simple pleasures, but now more than ever I am thankful  for everything that brings a smile or even some happy tears. I think we all need to find gladness wherever we can; so, in the interest of the greater good, I have to share episode 2 of  John Krasinski's "Some Good News" .

Let me start by saying that I honestly don't think the name of the show does it justice, as you'll see at eight and a half minutes into the episode. While John is talking to a little girl named Aubrey, about how sad she was that she wasn't able to go see "Hamilton" because of the pandemic, Lin-Manuel Miranda and the entire original cast of "Hamilton" Zoom bombed the segment and performed "Alexander Hamilton!!"

I was thrilled by the performance, because my girls and I have been obsessed with the show since it opened on Broadway.  We purchased the soundtrack (which we hadn't done in years) and listened to it relentlessly. So much so, that i'll confess we're a bit snobbish about other cast performances and we've even debated if we actually wanted to go see the show; because we thought we might be disappointed. (I know - that's a lil extreme, but remember, we're obsessed!) So to have the opportunity to watch the original cast members perform, was beyond incredible!  We squealed with glee as each of our favorite actors appeared on the screen. We sang along and I cried the happiest tears as these amazing human beings sang for Aubrey and everyone who needed uplifting.

While there are so many hardships and challenges that our society is facing during COVID-19, I think it's also been amazing to see how creative and generous the entertainment community has been during this crises. I'm so appreciative of the efforts and kindness shown by John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda et al, as well as those that participated in the Saturday Night Seder, the zoom table read of  "The Nanny" pilot, Tom Hanks and the cast of "SNL from home" and of course the numerous late night talk show hosts that continue to provide us with fun diversions.   We're being given an opportunity to take a time out, and reassess how we've been interacting with friends and family, and strengthen those relationships. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I am enjoying this pandemic, but I will admit that I've had a lot of wonderful and rewarding experiences.  I'm choosing to acknowledge the good stuff; so before we go to sleep I ask each of my kids to tell me one good thing about their day.  I'm hoping that you'll watch the link that I shared and this will at least be one good thing about your day.

Till next time...
Paige

No comments: