Sunday, August 24, 2008

New and Improved

I'm back. My tantrum is over and I'm moving on. It's time for me to make some changes; and I plan to start now - after all, wasn't I the one who was claiming to be the Queen of DETERMINATION just a few short weeks ago? Well, the Queen has put on her big girl panties (God, I'm lovin that expression lately; and my nearest and dearest can attest that I've been using the heck out of it - but hey if the panties fit...) Anyway, since I am so determined to turn things around and take my shot; here is the new and improved Bumpy Ride, by the new and improved (down 30 lbs now) Queen of EVERYTHING.

For starters, The Rides new look is apparent; and I must extend my thanks to Jackie for helping me out with that. I actually thought about adding music to the Ride but I was afraid that people would find it too distracting when trying to read, and we all know that the last thing I want is to hinder anyone from reading and enjoying my blog - so for now please enjoy the quiet that The Ride offers, as I know sometimes it takes EVERY bit of concentration to follow where the heck I'm going.

Now, you know how time and time again I have blamed my blogging delays on lack of quality subject matter? Well, since it is my fervent hope to increase the frequency of my blogging, I've decided to try requesting questions and suggestions from those who enjoy The Ride and want to read more of it. I'm hoping that by doing so, I'll have a whole lot more to blog about. So here's how it's going to work (I hope.) If you have a suggestion for a blog topic, a question about me, or just want my opinion about something; PLEASE leave me a comment and then I Will do my best to post a blog within 48 hours.

My first suggestion has come from Michelle (July has come and gone and she's still not legally) K; who has asked for my top 10 movies of all time; as well as my top 10 movies that I just can't pass up. You know, the kind of movie that when you're changing the channels and you come across is, you can't NOT watch it; (even though you may own it on video or DVD) and no the 2 topics are not necessarily one in the same by any means. Please feel free to leave your lists as well, this way maybe we'll all find a new fave or guilty pleasure.

For today I'm going to tackle the Top 10 movies list; this way I'll save the Top 10 movies I can't pass up for my next blog. (see, thinking ahead, planning to blog in the near future - this my friends is PROGRESS...)

Now please keep in mind; although I run an annual Oscar pool, when it comes to movies my tastes are pretty shallow. What I mean by this is, chances are I will NOT see an epic. I do not like movies that I have to think to hard to follow. I like my movies to be clear and entertaining; that's just the way I roll. (Another expression that I'm loving the heck out of.) Anyway, I am (as I've mentioned before) the Queen of B RATE movies. I still love and could quote ad nausea um "Sixteen candles", "St.Elmo's Fire", "About Last Night" etc, etc. These to me are true CLASSICS. I have yet to see "Casablanca", or probably any other picture made since; of the same caliber or Stature; and that's OK with me. I will say that I LOVED "Dangerous Liaisons;" I thought it was BRILLIANT as was it's counterpart "Cruel Intentions;" those were story lines that you had to pay close attention to (at least I did) and though I saw them, and they are not my typical viewing fare; I thoroughly enjoyed them. Basically I just love movies that make you feel EVERYTHING. Movies that have you laughing one minute and crying the next; A la "Beaches" or "Steel Magnolias;" though neither of those are on my list. (Loved em' but 10 is 10 baby) ask me again tomorrow and it could be different; but at this very moment; THESE are my 10;(in no particular order; even though they're numbered; EXCEPT for Numero UNO, that really is my NUMERO UNO.)

10. "Cousins" - This was a movie back in the 80's that I could watch every day. It stars Ted Danson and Isabella Rossalini and it is a FABULOUS love story. One of the things that I love about it is how the scenes move on through a series of weddings. It's fresh, and endearing, and certainly worth watching if you never have. This is a movie that I could still watch again and again.

9. "Mystic Pizza" - Yep,another oldie but goodie. I LOVE the cast in this movie. Of course there's Julia Roberts, but also Anabeth Gish (who I just love,) Lily Taylor (who we need to see more of in the future) and Hottie McHotterson, Vincent D'onofrio (yes, he's that guy on one of the Law and Order shows that I don't even watch, and he's not so McHotterson now - but then man, whew he was exquisite - sorry fellas. But it's got Julia Roberts too, so there's someone for your viewing pleasure as well.) Anyway, GREAT story. I can't imagine that you haven't seen it yet, but if you haven't and you want some light entertainment, grab up The pizza and settle in.

8. "Pretty Woman" - While I'm on the topic of Julia Roberts, what more can I say. The Quintessential Julia Roberts movie, the Quintessential love story, with some lines that still bare repeating today. As a matter of fact just last week the scrap girls and I were quoting this movie. So unless you've been living under a rock for the past 20 years, I'm sure that you've seen it; but heck, who couldn't always see it again?

7 & 6 "Parenthood" & "When Harry Met Sally" - Let me explain why I have grouped these 2 together. Both movies came out in the late 80's and at that point in time, I actually would go to a movie in the theater more than once (OK, like 6 times even) if I really liked it, and both "Parenthood" & "When Harry met Sally" were multiple movie going experiences for me.

"Parenthood" was just a hoot and a half with an all-star cast lead by Steve Martin. Even though I was no where close to becoming a parent when I first saw it; I found it HYSTERICALLY funny and moving. I think it's a movie that could stand the test of time and I could watch it over and over STILL.

"When Harry met Sally," again, unless you're a Rock Dweller or maybe a guy (sorry guys no insult intended it's just that this was definitely classified as a chick flick so I know that could be a reason that you may not have seen it) but girl's c'mon I'd find it tough to believe that any of you out there hadn't seen it; and don't we all just LOVE,LOVE,LOVE this movie. I mean any movie that could endear Billy Crystal to you as a romantic lead - I say KUDOS, KUDOS, KUDOS and Meg Ryan - well she's just perfect. I know we all love the deli scene but that's just the tip of the iceberg. This movie is and always will be a classic and so I say, "Way to go Meathead - GREAT flick!!"

5. "The Holiday" (Yes, I have seen a movie since the 1980's - LOL) This film was out last year. It starred Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Kate Winslett & Jack Black. It is a fantastic, make you feel EVERYTHING kinda movie and I find it to be DELIGHTFUL. I don't want to give any of the story away; but if you haven't seen it, run don't walk - because it's a winner!

4. "Fifty First Dates" - I love Adam Sandler (he cracks me up,) I love Drew Barrymore ( I just find her to be so down to earth,) I love them together (they are a great combo) and this movie does not disappoint. It is a love story, it is funny; and some of the funniest lines are from Sean Astin (he's not just a hobbit any more - haha I haven't seen any of the Lord of the rings movies - surprise, surprise, so I don't really know if Hobbit is the right word for his character - but you get my drift.) Anyway, this is not infantile Sandler - this is a REALLY good movie (for guys & girls both.)

3. "Wedding Crashers" - My God do I love this movie. This movie CRACKS me up like no other; even though I can't help but stare at Owen Wilson's nose when he is on screen and personally he is NOT my fave; but I love me some Vince Vaughn and Will Ferrell is a riot. Luis and I quote this movie EVERY DAY; and we rarely enjoy the same movies. You'll see this one on my can't pass it up list too; because EVERYTHING about this movie is a must see - over and over and over again.

2. "Sex and the City" - Now you know I LOVED this movie. With the price of tickets these days, I actually went to see this twice in the theater (OK I had a free ticket once) but I would have paid, I would have, I would have. I was not a regular viewer of the show, because I didn't have HBO when it was on, but I have seen the G rated version on regular TV, and none the matter; as you could fully enjoy this movie without ever having seen one episode of the show. And Mr. Big - YUM, YUM, YUM! It's funny, he's not the best looking guy in the world - but there is just something about his whole package that is Sexy personified. His voice, his style, his mannerism, his persona - S-E-X-Y! Now don't get me wrong; I don't love this movie because of Mr. Big alone. This movie is a standout because of ALL of the characters, the relationships, the dialougue and really, just like BIG, the movie really is THE WHOLE PACKAGE. Honestly, Don't miss it. I personally will be on line to buy the DVD the minute it comes out.

1. "Life is Beautiful" - I have referenced this movie in several different blogs. This is my all time favorite movie and all I can say is; Roberto Benigni is a GENIUS. This movie takes place In Italy during World War 2 and it is a love story beyond compare. I don't want to give one second of this movie away. I'll warn you that it is in subtitles which I personally try to steer clear of but I'm telling you that it will NOT matter. You must see this movie. If you have any doubt about the value of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, if you need to be reminded what it's all about, or simply, if you have a heart - you NEED to see this movie and if you watch it at my prompting, PLEASE let me know, because i think it is the most PROFOUND movie to date that you could ever have the pleasure of watching - and you know I'm all about the GREATER GOOD; just get your tissues ready.

OK, so now I've said not so much about way too much, so I gotta hit the road. I had told Michelle (...) K that maybe by writing my blog more regularly, they'd actually be shorter - haha WHO AM I KIDDING? But seriously, it is not my aim to be verbose; say it with me "It's just the way I roll."

Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOTTIE MCHOTTERSON????? You are killin' me!!! You are hysterical. ANd you have revived the word Meathead!! I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Whatcha doing over there, Archaleta? Where's the meatloaf, mom. What's she doing? This has brought me many laughs thanks to you and Luis. It is a classic in my book too. And if I ever feel the need to jump over a bridge, Life is Beautiful is my choice as well. What a fabulous movie, no words to descibe.