Tuesday, March 31, 2009

#5 - I Don't Think That I'm A Very Good Driver...

My 100 random things about me list is actually proving to be most useful. I realized that if I'm in need of an idea for a post, I can always go back to my list and write about any of my random things. Ironically, and sadly; shortly after that post, I proved #5 - I don't think that I'm a very good driver ...in full effect.

Now luckily I haven't endured that many accidents; unless you consider 5 in 24 years many. Of the 5 only 2 were my fault (one weather induced, and the other ~ well you'll see;) and the other 3 people hit me. Now it's not like you have to fear driving near me when I'm on the road, or even be afraid to drive with me; I mean I have kids for god's sake; I'm a SAFE driver, but maybe just a little overly cautious and like most things; I KNOW THIS ABOUT MYSELF.

Anyway, I was driving to my office on a Friday morning, a few weeks ago. it was just after 6am, I was on the highway and it was still dark out. I was in the most right hand lane and ALL OF A SUDDEN out of nowhere there was a VERY big object in my way. I had no idea what it was, but it was like the size of a roll of carpet. I couldn't tell if it was hard or soft; all I knew was that I was going to have to hit it, because if I swerved to get around it, I would have gone in someone else's lane and possibly hit them or got hit myself. I hit the object (whatever it was) and I think it went under the car; but again; it was dark. I immediately got off at the next exit and pulled into the shopping center that was there. I got out to inspect my vehicle and much too my surprise I saw no damage. I couldn't believe it. I felt blessed; and confused - so I bought a bagel and went to work.

Several hours later, I went out to my car at lunch time and was shocked by what I saw. I called Luis and tried to explain what happened. I told him that I hadn't mentioned it earlier in the day, because I hadn't seen any damage. (Remember, it was still dark at the time.) I really expected that Luis would be mad at me; but instead he just said "well that's why we have insurance;" and boy was I relieved.
When I got home I showed him the damage and called the insurance company. Allstate assured me that I did the right thing by hitting the object and I felt a little better, but not entirely.
The car was repaired in record time, and luckily nothing was hurt except my ego.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Maybe you ran over the remains of Jimmy Hoffa?

Anonymous said...

or quite possibly what was left of geraldo's career after his vault special.