Thursday, April 19, 2018

HUGE News for Lyndzi...


I've known that Lyndzi was an artist, since she was three years old.  YES, three!!  She sat down with some crayons and drew the bee that was on  the Honey Nut Cheerios box, and I knew right then and there that she had a gift.  Being a mom who blogs, I frequently write about my kids;  so I took a look back to see what I had previously shared  about Lyndzi's artwork and I came across a post from 2010 called  "What A Mom's Gotta Do",  where I wrote "Lyndzi is an absolutely BRILLIANT artist; and yes, I know that most moms think that their kids are great at one thing or another; but trust me when I tell you, my girl's got TALENT!! Lyndzi is a multi-faceted artist - not only can she draw; she also sculpts and paints.  Lyndzi pays exceptional attention to detail and her vision is way beyond her years.   She's won prizes for her artwork and been featured in our school district art show; and at the tender age of 8 she PRIDES herself on being an artist.While it's hard for me to believe that I wrote that over 7 years ago, those words still hold true.  Lyndzi's become an extraordinary artist.  She's won several contests, has done commissioned work and she continues to sell hand drawn sneakers.Now, if you read my last blog "Cinnamon",  then you know that "as much as I love surprises, I often have a hard time keeping the secret and waiting to reveal the surprise."  Well, the universe has surely been challenging me; because (thankfully), the surprises keep coming and I've been keeping a secret (from most of you) for a few weeks now.  It wasn't that I didn't want to tell EVERYONE, believe me, I DID; but when I received the call from the PUSD Public Relations Department, notifying me that Lyndzi had won the district Anti-Bullying Art Contest (for the third time), they asked me not to say anything publicly until after the awards were presented at the Peoria Cultural Arts  Festival. Lyndzi was so excited to find out that she had won; but like me, she's a rule follower so she didn't say anything to anyone.  Well, the next day when Lyndzi came home from school, she said to me "You didn't fracture your ankle in vain." (And side note, if you're totally confused by that comment, stop here.  Read "Oops I Did It Again, And Again", and then come back.  Everyone else KEEP READING...)

So,  I asked her what she was talking about, and with tears welling up in her eyes, she told me that when she had walked into her art class, her teacher said "Don't you have something to tell us."  Assuming that he was talking about the Anti-Bullying art contest, she shared the news of her win.  He then said "And?" to which she replied "And?" And he said "You also won a bus?"  Lyndzi was taken aback and she asked what he was talking about.  He then explained, that the Principal had come in to see him earlier, with some people from the Valley Metro bus and they said that she had won the Transit Wrap Contest!!!!   I was stunned when I heard her news, and I'm not sure how many times I said "You won?"  Not because I couldn't believe that she'd done it, but because it was such a HUGE contest, and such a fantastic prize and I was just ecstatic for her.  Now I don't know about you, but because I heard it from Lyndzi, who heard it from her Art teacher, and I hadn't heard a peep from Valley Metro, I didn't want to say anything publicly, in case there was some type of misunderstanding.  When I saw the Art teacher at the Cultural Arts Festival, I asked him to tell me about what happened when the bus people came in to see him and he said that Lyndzi had definitely won, but he got the impression that they wanted to surprise her.  OK, I can understand that part, but I wondered why they hadn't contacted me.  (Maybe they heard that I wasn't great at keeping secrets, lol.) Well, hallelujah, we got the official call on Monday, and I can now say with all certainty that Lyndzi has won the Valley Metro Transit Wrap contest!!!  She'll be getting a bus and a light rail wrapped with her design for a year, in addition to a cash prize!!  They'll be unveiling her bus at her school on May 16th AND they'll let us know when the lightrail and bus are being wrapped so that we can go down with family and friends to watch and take photos.  So, if you're in the area and you'd like to see Lyndzi's bus, consider yourself invited!! 


Since this ride may have been a lil bumpier than usual, here's Lyndzi's Anti-Bullying Award winning piece...  The theme this year was "All Different All Equal".

What more can I say?  I'm grateful for the surprises that we've been receiving.  Not only because of  the joy that they're bringing but because it seems that as long as I have surprises to share, I have subject matter for my blog!

Till next time,
Paige
XO


No comments: