Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Rules

I have this fantasy about becoming a professional writer. I'm calling it a fantasy because other than writing this blog, I'm not doing anything to make it a reality just yet; but I have been doing a lot of thinking about what it is that I should be writing (besides "TBR".) Although I have always thought that I would write a book one day; I know that day is not today. No, a book seems like a very arduous task; one which I do not have the time or inclination to endeavor (at the moment;) so, I move on... And I've been thinking that for today I might be good at writing articles (from an observational humorist standpoint of course; ) or short stories (oh, OK, LONG, short stories;) or a column. Hmm, I can hear your brains whirling now - "What kind of column your highness?" OK, well, what kind of column would someone who is concerned about the greater good write? And of course the natural answer (at least to me,) is AN ADVICE COLUMN. (You all know how much I love to tell everyone what to do - HAHAHA just kidding.) So, OK, yah, I don't think that it's just that easy. I don't think that someone is standing around waiting to hand out jobs for advice columnists, nor do I think that just anyone should have an advice column; but yah I'll say it; I think I could. What a perfect combination of my writing skills (whatever they may be) and my social work/counselling background; and besides, I ALWAYS seem to know very well; what is best for everyone (but me.) I can help you with the biggest to smallest problem, dilemma or quandary; yet somehow I never seem to know what to make for dinner. Yup, I'm an advice giver; I'm a listener, OK, I'm a HUGE talker too; and I know it - but since I can't sign, how else would I give advice? Well, now I can write it too.
In my opinion there are several kinds of advice. There is advice that is given when someone asks a direct question, and then there is unsolicited advice (the kind I give ALL THE TIME on "TBR" ) like my tips on things that I think are for the greater good - and under this category, I would like to share "The Rules."

When I was in college my favorite professor would start off each semester by explaining "The Rules." 1. - Don't sweat the small stuff. 2. It's all small stuff.
And 3. If you can't flee and you can't fight; FLOW.

Well, the other day I came to share this advice with a good friend of mine and I realized that these were valuable rules for everyone and I felt compelled to incorporate it into today's blog. I often times have to remind myself to just flow and although I've been aware of the rules for more years than I would like to admit; it is very easy to forget them - but not anymore. I've turned over a new leaf - I want life to be more carefree even though we are constantly hustling and bustling. I want to hear the wind in the trees and savor each sip of coffee, because sad as it is to say; you never know when you are going to have done either for the last time.

And so today I offer you this challenge - follow these rules. Don't sweat the small stuff (and when you're thinking yah, Paige, that electric bill ain't such small stuff; ) move on to rule 2 - It's ALL small stuff. I have every confidence that anyone who reads this blog (myself included) is NOT going to wind up living in a cardboard box or eating dog food on the street - NONE of you would let that happen (even with today's terrible economy.) I KNOW that you would all do whatever it takes to protect yourself and the ones that you love and in doing so, you need to remember to remain calm, keep a level head and when you can't flee and you can't fight (because those always are options;) FLOW! I'm also going to add to those rules a side rule of my own; and that is PUNT! Yah, I like the punt - it's what you do when you're flying by the seat of your pants and making lemons out of lemonade and flowing which ever way the breeze takes you. Yes, punting brought mine and Michelle (...)K's families up to the Grand Canyon on Saturday and we (my family) had never been there before. It was a brief trip, but I'm glad that we went; not only because it really was beautiful in a very peaceful type of way but because now, I am free and clear to move out of Arizona with the satisfaction of knowing that I have seen the GC (since I lived in NY for 26 years and shamefully admit that I never saw the Statue of Liberty.) NOT that I'm planning on going anywhere at the moment;but hey, you NEVER know when I'm gonna feel the need to punt!

If you've never tried living by these rules before, and you decide to accept my challenge, I would LOVE to hear how it's working out for you. In the interest of trying my hand at the advice column gig, I wanted to establish an email address so that if anyone was in need of any advice and they wanted to give me a stab at it, they could email me - but as I must remind you I am not the Queen of the Internet, I have yet to figure out how to create a second email address on my account (OK stop laughing;) SO if anyone has some advice for ME on this matter, let me know and we can give it a whirl. Once I've got the email address I will post it, and you can email me your silliest, simplest, or most serious questions and I'll do my best to offer up some fabulous advice. OR this could go the way of the I'm taking requests segment, or the Ask Luis (Presidential election questions;) YOU decide and I'll just flow...
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Golden advice!! Definitely words to live by. And you SHOULD have an advice column. I already presented a dilemma with the "Candy sticks" that you resolved quite nicely for me....

nancy said...

I am ready for that email address! I have several juicy questions lined up...