Sunday, July 3, 2011

(43-341) "HOME"

The very best thing about my 43rd year (other than surviving it), has been that I've formed a beautiful relationship with my cousin Jackie and her family.  I've told you before that Jackie is more like my sister than a cousin, and in the seven months that I've known her, she's brought an abounding love and contentment to my life.

Jackie and I are in communication one way or another on a daily basis and even though we're going to New York together on the 28th, we wanted to have a family visit as well.  Luis and I thought that it would be special to spend our anniversary and July 4th weekend with Jackie and her husband, Gene, so we drove to California  yesterday so that we could all be together.

Since I lost my parents so many years ago, I haven't had a "home" to go home to; so whenever Luis and I would go to Puerto Vallarta, I would say that we were going "home."  But, I now feel like even though I'm not from where Jackie lives, and I'd never been there before a few months ago; wherever I see Jackie, that's "home."

I've told you repeatedly that I have the most fantastic friends; and I'm so fortunate because they all go out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable in their homes.  Needless to say I'm so very appreciative of that; but their is a feeling in my heart when I'm with Jackie, that I've NEVER felt before.  There's an unspoken reassurance, an understanding, a commonality, a kinship, an acceptance and a love that I can only imagine comes from knowing that she's my family; and for once, I feel like I truly belong somewhere.  Amazingly enough, I can see the same reaction from Luis and my kids; and it is so comforting to know that they feel the same way too. 

We didn't want to make any big plans for this weekend.  No theme parks, or special activities; just family time at home.  We swam,played Scrabble, and just spent time enjoying each other's company and I don't think that any of us would have wanted it any other way.

I am a firm believer in expressing my gratitude.  If you're a regular rider, then you know that I thank my family, I thank my friends, and I thank my readers on a very regular basis; and I do so because I think that if there's something that makes your life special, then you should show your appreciation for it as often as possible; because sadly, you never know when that something might be gone.  So thank you to my cousin, Jackie and her family for embracing me and my family with open arms and making our lives so much richer. And thank you to you, for taking the time to join me on "The Bumpy Ride."
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

No comments: