Tuesday, December 14, 2010

(43-140) Authors

On November 19, I received the following request from my friend Judy, on Facebook: The Rules: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen authors (poets included) who have influenced you and will always stick with you. List the first 15 you can recall in no more than 15 minutes, and they don't have to be listed in order of relevance to you.

Now even though I don't fulfill every request I receive on Facebook; this one sounded interesting to me; but up until now, I couldn't find the time.  However; tonight, faced with nothing particular to write about, I remembered Judy's "Authors" request, and thought I'd take a stab at it.  Now Judy's request just called for me to list the authors; but I just wouldn't be me if I didn't add my two sense as well.  So as the instructions state; in no particular order; here's my list:

 1.   Meg Cabot - "The Queen of Babble" series is my favorite; but I've read all of her adult works as well.  She is also quite well known for "The Princess Diaries."    

2.   Jennifer Weiner - I would have to say that of all of her books,  I enjoyed "Good In Bed" the most; and her sequel "Certain Girls," moved me to tears.  I've read almost everything that she's written, and you'd probably know her best, for "In Her Shoes," which was made into a movie with Shirley MacLaine, Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette.

 3.   Dr. Seuss - Need I say more?  But If I must... "Oh The Places You'll Go."

 4.   Judy Blume -  I was a total addict as a kid; and I must have read ALL of her books; including "Forever" which was quite controversial at the time; (at least in my house.) 

 5.   Wally Lamb - "She's Come Undone" is still one of my all time favorites.  I read it 14 years ago and it has a special place in my heart.  I was so impressed that a man could write a woman character as well as Mr. Lamb did; and I could honestly say that I would read this book again.

 6.   Maeve Binchy - I read "Circle of Friends" AFTER seeing the movie; and immediately fell in love with Maeve Binchy.  With the exception of her most recent book; I have read all of her works and I am always so excited to see that she's come out with something new.

 7.   A.A. Milne - Author of my beloved "Winnie The Pooh." 

 8.   Helen Keller - Although I've only recently become acquainted with Ms. Keller's work; I find her words to be profound and true to my heart.

 9.   Louis May Alcott - I adored "Little Women" when I was growing up, and even though I own the DVD, I can never pass up watching it when it's on TV.  The story is timeless.  I love the setting, the time period, the characters; and I can't wait until my girls are old enough to be introduced to this wonderful book.

10.  Candace Bushnell - I hadn't read one of her books until "The Carrie Diaries;" which I tore through.  Oh how can we ever thank her enough for the joy that is "Sex And The City."

11.  Sophie Kinsella - While waiting for "Confessions Of A Shopaholic" to become available at the library, I read "Undomestic Goddess," which was a delightful romp.  Once I finally had the opportunity to read "Shopaholic," I thought that it was well worth the wait.  I'm STILL waiting to read the remainder of the series; so if anyone local has them on hand; PLEASE loan them my way.

12.  Frances Hodgson Burnett - How I cherished "A Little Princess."  I read it multiple times; and in the summer of 88' I was DELIGHTED to have the attic room of our bayside rental, because it reminded me of Sarah's room at Ms. Minchin's.

13.  Jane Austen - Now I won't lie, and pretend that I read "Emma," or "Sense And Sensibility;" but I did love both movies; and both stories are on my list of books to read.

14.  Erma Bombeck - Her wit and intelligence are what I aspire to.

15.  Cathy Kelly - Now I already told you how much I enjoy Maeve Binchy, and my pursuit to read all that she'd written, lead me to "Irish Girls about Town," which is a collection of short stories by female, Irish authors.  My favorite story was by Cathy Kelly, and so I went on to read another of her books; and will continue to do so.

I can only hope that one day, my name will appear on someone's list of 15 authors that have influenced them.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

1 comment:

Joni Parker said...

Great list...some I'm not familiar with!!