Friday, December 24, 2010

(43-150) Peace, Love & Harmony

If I had to pick one word to describe how I'm feeling today; it would be "BLISSFUL."  And what I like best about the fact that I feel this way; is that absolutely, nothing out of the ordinary has occurred.  I got to sleep in a little more than usual this morning; which was a  lovely way to start my day; but once I was up, Luis and I had to GO, GO, GO!  We still had a ton of shopping to do; which is kinda unusual considering that our kids are only getting one gift each; plus their gift from Santa, and a few stocking stuffers.  But we also had food shopping to do, and I had my blog to write; so we had no time to waste.

I won't regale you with the list of shops that we visited; but suffice it to say, there were many; and I was impressed with how good spirited my fellow shoppers and retailers, appeared to be.  I think that it's fair to say that I typically try to be a friendly person; even if it's just to smile at a stranger when our eyes meet;  and I must have exchanged a smile with someone while in Sam's Club, which caused me to be struck with a profound awareness that people (for the most part,) seem to respond well to a smile.  The simple gesture of a smile, can mean so much and it's not something that I usually think about; I just do.
During the holiday season, we seem to encounter two kinds of people ~ those who want to wish you peace on earth and bestow good will towards men; and others who are crabby and resentful; and hate all that surrounds the holidays because they have to deal with the crowds and the parking and the traffic etc.  I find it ironic that people can have such attitudes while they are out shopping for what is supposed to be a loving, thoughtful, joyous time; but yet, this idea alludes them. They are not scrooges (or I imagine that they wouldn't be out shopping;) but they do exhibit the bah-hum-BUG; and to me, these are the people who are in need of our smiles the most. I rarely find that if you smile at someone that they will scowl or ignore you; in fact, maybe showing a little kindness to a stranger is all that they need to brighten their day.  It can be a lonely world out there; and you NEVER know what someone else's situation or circumstances are; so I say, risk it, SMILE!

The stores were all crowded; each and EVERY one of them.  People were rushing around, filling their carts, waiting on lines and, for the most part; it seemed to me that most people were in the holiday spirit.

So why am I blissful?  I don't know.  Maybe it's the fact that I think that Luis and I, AND Santa; got the perfect gifts for our kids.  Or perhaps it was the comfort of shopping with my beloved; instead of going out on my own, as I've been doing.  It could be the smiles that I've exchanged with many today, or the season's greetings or my clean house.  It could be the realization that life is GOOD; even if it's not perfect; and that Peace, Love and Harmony feel GREAT.  BUT, on the subject of harmony, I want to say this...

The other day I was once again looking for quotes for my Facebook status and I found one that really made an impression on me; although I didn't choose to use it at the time.  It was a quote by journalist / editor, Doug Floyd; “You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note.”  How brilliant is that?  I think that it is VERY important to remember that if we were all the same;  had the same beliefs, and practices; we could never achieve HARMONY.  We need diversity, and varied contributions in order to truly have harmony.
At this time, and for always; I wish you and yours, PEACE,LOVE & HARMONY!
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING                           

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Merry Christmas! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

How sweet. Here is my wonderful kid story to share:
We went for a walk xmas night, just around the neighborhood. We asked Joseph what his favorite presents were (I told him he could name 3). He said "The Drum Set", "All the Legos" and .. (after a little thought, but not too much).. "And all the Love". Awwww!!! Smart kid..!! I must be doing something right, huh?