Thursday, December 16, 2010

(43-142) I KNOW My ABBA...

For the past twelve plus years; I've worked for a technology company that builds travel sales websites.  My job of course, has NOTHING to do with technology; since it is something that I have very little understanding of.  Instead, I work in the accounting department (which is something that I never would have expected to hear myself saying 20 years ago; but nonetheless, it's true;) collections to be exact.  I'm telling you this so that you'll understand that even though my company builds the websites; they are also involved in sales and they are constantly trying to find ways to increase our business.
As a great deal of our sales are derived from various group events; our company owners decided to venture out into the world of class reunion
coordination.
Now, when our CEO comes up with an idea, he totally immerses himself in it; so I suppose that I shouldn't have been surprised when a couple of weeks ago we were inundated with deliveries of DJ equipment.  My boss was very proud of his new purchases and explained that he wanted to be able to supply DJ services as a part of his class reunion coordination package.  He told me that he and a number of other employees were going to learn how to use the equipment so that they could DJ the jobs themselves.  I told him that it was Luis' dream to be a DJ, and he immediately invited him on board. 

Luis went to their first meeting, where they started checking out the equipment; and my boss said that they would each be given an opportunity to take the equipment home.  Well, the equipment continues to arrive, regularly; and last week, we received some Disco lights (for lack of a better name for it.)  I saw the little light demonstration and suggested that they purchase a bubble machine as well.

Today I went to my office and my boss asked me if I'd seen the lights.  I said "yes," but he decided that I deserved another viewing and with that, Bruce Springsteen's "Born to run" was all keyed up and the lights began to move.  My boss left the music on, and I have to say; he'd done a pretty good job.  He had a diverse mix, and each tune transitioned well to the next.  My boss left the office; and he kept the music and lights going.  I took the liberty of turning a light back on, because it was so dark in the office that my solar calculator couldn't display any numbers.   I was dancing at my desk; and MUCH to my delight, I heard the intro for "Dancing Queen."  You may remember that #8 of my "100 Random Things About Me," was "ABBA music makes me happy!!"  And the truth is, that most people who KNOW me, know this.  My other boss made sure to comment to me that it was Abba since he had banned me from playing them in the office a number of years ago.  I listened to the song, and as my boss walked by and said to me, "Now that's ABBA," and I said "No it's not."  He questioned me and I told him that the other boss had gotten the wrong version.  He didn't get Abba; he got a recording from "Mamma Mia."  My boss shrugged because he couldn't tell a difference.  I told him that I was so sure; that I would bet him money (which is something that I NEVER say.)  Of course he didn't take me up on my bet; which is too bad for me, because upon my other bosses return to the office, I informed him that he didn't have the Abba version of "Dancing Queen," but the show version etc. etc and he said "You're right."

Do I know my ABBA or what?  With the popularity of the film and show versions of "Mamma Mia," ABBA music is still alive and well; and although I enjoy all versions (well, except maybe Meryl Streep's,) the real deal is my favorite.  So tonight, I'm going to share my top 5 ABBA tunes, because I think that we all need to bring out our inner dancing Queen from time to time.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

Waterloo
Fernando
I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
Mamma Mia
Dancing Queen

No comments: