Saturday, February 5, 2011


When I wrote "A Spirit Lift," I shared ten things that I was looking forward to; and #9 was Date Day. I explained that Luis and I were planning to celebrate Valentine's Day early, on Friday; so when I returned home from volunteering in Kelsie and Lyndzi's classes, Luis and I were on our way.  Luis told me that he needed to stop at Autozone to get some oil for the minivan; and then we could get going; but while I was waiting in the car; the school nurse called and said that she had Nicky in her office; he had fever, he wasn't feeling well, and he needed to be picked up.  I told her that we'd be there in five minutes.

I have to admit, that when the nurse said that it was Nicky that she had in her office, I was really surprised; because he hadn't exhibited any signs of being ill.  When I got to the nurse's office, she told me that Nicky had 100.4 temp, was coughing and complaining of a headache.  We took Nicky home, he rested; and other than a low grade fever, he seemed to be doing OK; so the kids and I met Jenny and her kids for dinner, since it was the SMF's night out.

Nicky ate dinner, but his energy seemed lower than usual; and he started to get very tired.  Once we got home, I could hear that Nicky was now congested and in need of a breathing treatment.  During his breathing treatment I asked him if he could see himself playing soccer in the morning if he felt just like this; and he said no.  I told him that I knew that he would be very disappointed if he had to miss the All-Star game; but that I wanted him to focus on how proud he should be of himself, for being invited to play.  I asked if he thought I should let his coach know that he wasn't going to be able to play; but he asked me to wait until morning.

I set my alarm for 8am, thinking that if Nicky wasn't going to be well enough for the All-Star game, it should give his coach time to ask someone else; since the game was scheduled for 11.  But by 3am I could hear Nicky coughing, so I got up and went to him.  We took his temperature and he had 102.4  I gave him a breathing treatment and emailed his coach; and I have to say that I thought Nicky handled his disappointment amazingly well.

By 745 I heard Nicky coughing again, so I got up and he was crying.  He was  congested, and uncomfortable and he was BURNING up with 106 temp.  We took his temperature again, because we were shocked that it was so high; and we got a reading of 102.5; so Luis reasoned that he must have been sleeping on the ear that was 106.  We gave Nicky Ibuprofen and a breathing treatment; and I took him to Urgent Care.

Once again, I have to sing the praises of Alliance Urgent Care as we had no wait; and the personnel were lovely.  Nicky was diagnosed with Acute Bronchitis and Sinusitis; and they prescribed an antibiotic, a cough syrup with Codeine; and yes, steroids for the Asthma.

I don't know why I'm so surprised that within 12 hours Nicky went from seeming absolutely fine; to being so sick; because that's EXACTLY what had happened to Lyndzi just a couple of weeks ago; and yet, it seems unbelievable nonetheless.  I can't tell you how extraordinarily proud I am of how well Nicky coped with his disappointment over the All-Star game; and I thing that just goes to show that Nicky really is an ALL AROUND ALL STAR.
Till next time...

No comments: