Friday, February 4, 2011

(43-192) FANILOW

In yesterday's post, "A Spirit Lift;" I reminded you of #31 from "100 MORE Random Things About Me;" which was, "I make lists."  Which I suppose I probably didn't have to tell you since that was actually a part of a list; BUT, I'm sure that you understood that I meant that I make lists, beyond that of 100 Random Things or 100 MORE Random Things etc.  It's not called the Bumpy Ride, for nothing...

Anyway, one of the really great things about having made the previously mentioned lists; is that in times when I am at a loss for a blog topic, I can look back at the obscure little tidbits that I've shared; and choose one to elaborate on.  Today I'm going to go with #2 from "100 MORE Random Things About Me;"  I'm a Fanilow.  

A "Fanilow" for those of you who aren't familiar with the term, is a fan of Barry Manilow; and indeed I am.  There are quite a few reasons that I'm a Fanilow; starting with, my mom was a big, (yes) HUGE, Barry Manilow fan.  I remember how much she loved "Can't Smile Without You," and "Copacabana;" and although I enjoyed those songs; once I became more familiar with his repertoire; I became a big (yes) HUGE fan as well.  I love the fact that his songs can make you happy or sad.  I think that he really evokes emotion with his music and lyrics (so much so, that I even cried today when listening to "This One's For You;") and I don't know many other artists that I can say the same about.  I find his songs to be timeless; and I think that he is a sensational, showman (although I've only seen his performances and concerts on TV, to date.)  

I know some may scoff at Mr. Manilow; and I definitely run the risk of dating myself by professing my appreciation for him; but that's a risk I'm willing to take.  My music preferences are diverse for sure, and I think that everything has it's time and place in our lives.  With the kind of week that I've had, I feel like I could use a little Manilow; so I'm going to share some of my all time favorite Barry Manilow songs with you today.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

Daybreak

Jump Shout Boogie

It's A Miracle

Mandy

This One's for You

No comments: