Thursday, February 17, 2011

(43-205) The Volunteers

About a month ago, when I was at Kelsie's soccer practice; I ran into my friend Patti; who used to be Lyndzi and Kelsie's Kindergarten teacher.  Patti is one of the Student Council advisers and she told me that she had asked Nicky to join a committee that she was heading.  She explained that they were going to try to collect packages of new undergarments as there were a lot of students in the community who were in need; and she thought it would be a great idea to use Captain Underpants in their campaign.  I thanked her for encouraging Nicky to get more involved; and then she asked me if I would be willing to help as well.  She paid me a high compliment, and said that she thought I was so creative; that it would be wonderful if I could work with them; as long as Nicky didn't mind.  I told her that I would check with Nicky and that if he was OK with it; I'd be happy to help.

I spoke with Nicky about the committee and he had no objection to me assisting; so that Monday we went to our first meeting. By the time we were through, we had chosen a boy to be Captain Underpants; and I volunteered Lyndzi to make him a mask.  We agreed on a speaker, a dance group, a rap, and a skit.  And  we continued meeting up until this past Monday when we had our last rehearsal.

At 730 this morning, the kids and I met everyone on the stage; and I showed them the masks that Lyndzi had made.  Nicky was prepared for his part in the presentation and all of the performers were very excited.  We had a slight glitch with the music; but other than that, I think everyone did a great job. 

I've told you before that the word "volunteer" is like my kryptonite, because   I have a very difficult time refusing someone who asks for help. I was  flattered that Patti asked me to get involved with this project and I'm so glad that my kids are learning the importance of volunteering and contributing as well.  
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

No comments: