Saturday, June 11, 2011

(43-319) White Feathers

On Thursday morning I was working in my office, and I thought of my Uncle Harry (Jackie's father.)  I wanted to text Jackie to see how he was doing, because he has Leukemia and was recently admitted to the hospital; and all of a sudden I saw white feathers drifting in front of my face.  I'm pretty sure that I said out loud, "What's with all of these feathers," but then I think that I immediately forgot about it.(Almost like it hadn't happened.)  Then, a minute later I saw a single, white feather float in front of my face and I KNOW that this time I said out loud "What's with the feathers?"  I grabbed the feather, because I wanted to have proof of the occurence.  My friend Kathy and I were the only ones in our office at this time, so I asked her if she was seeing feathers; and I probably don't have to tell you that her response included something to the effect of "Are you nuts?"  I told her that I'd seen some feathers and I showed her the one that I grabbed.  Neither one of us knew what to make of it, but I immediately thought ANGEL - and texted Jackie to check on her dad.

I put the feather in my wallet while I anxiously awaited Jackie's response.  All she said was that he was depressed, but that's OK; at least he's still with us.  I didn't tell her anything about the feathers, because quite honestly, I didn't know what to make of it.  Of course I thought that my mom had paid me a visit, and leaving a few feathers was her way of letting me know that she was there.  Interestingly enough, at his swim meet that night, Nicky swam better than he ever had.  He took first place for breast stroke, first place for butterfly and his lane took third place in their medley relay.  Was there an angel watching over him? 

Wanting to know a little bit more about the significance of seeing white feathers, I did a little research.  YES, research; and I found the following "possible" explanations:
KGBabswers states:  "According to spiritualists a white feather falling on you may mean that you have been visited by an angel."  "Some people believe that when you receive a white feather it's actually the angels letting you know that they are with you, surrounding you with love. Be safe!"

According to the " Symbolic meanings blog by Avia Venefica" It is commonly thought in most cultures that feathers are symbols of higher thought, spiritual progression. The line of thought here is that birds were considered divine creatures in primitive/ancient cultures because they are creatures of the sky (heaven) and therefore closer to God.
When you find feathers upon your path it could be taken to mean that you are on a higher spiritual path (whether you accept it or not), and it may be a sign of encouragement as you philosophically travel on this path.
Finding feathers on your path is also symbolic of having a lighter outlook on life or a particularly situation. When we see feathers in our midst it is considered a message that we need to lighten up, not take things too seriously, and try to find the joy in our situation."

Wikipedia states that a white feather can either be "a sign of cowardice,or pacifism and in the United States, of extraordinary bravery and excellence in combat marksmanship. In religion, a white feather has been interpreted as a message card of peace from angels."

If I had seen the feather in my home or some place where there were pillows or blankets, I'm sure that I wouldn't be giving the feathers a second thought. But in my office?  I find that peculiar.  Nonetheless, as Freud said "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."  So what do I think?  I think that people choose to believe whatever they find comforting.  I like the idea of believing that my Mom paid me a visit.  Maybe she was there to  reassure me that now was not my Uncle's time.  Perhaps she was their to look in on me because now is NOT my time.  Maybe she popped by to reassure me that she's always with me; or because she wanted to join me for the kid's swim meet.  Or maybe it was just a fluke, but I don't think so.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

No comments: