Monday, June 13, 2011

(43-321) "Gimme Five" - Broadway Musicals

I couldn't have been more than nine (the age Lyndzi is now), when I saw the movie "Funny Girl" with Barbra Streisand for the first time.  I remember watching it on TV with my mom, who was a big Barbra fan, and thinking that it was the best thing that I'd ever seen.  Shortly thereafter, "Grease" was released at the movies, which just affirmed my affinity for musicals.  It wasn't until a few years later that I saw my first, live Broadway show - "Barnum" with Jim Dale and Glenn Close, and I was hooked.  I fell in love live theater, and raved about the show so much, that Richie Howell actually took me back to see it again a few months later.

My fondness for musicals drove me to volunteer for the make-up crew in High School.  By my sophomore year I actually became the make-up director and I thoroughly enjoyed watching all of the rehearsals and contributing to our productions, which is why #15 of my "100 Random Things About Me" post was "I love Broadway Musicals."  # 37 happened to be  "I've always loved award shows. (But now, I keep it down to the Oscars, the Tony's, The Emmy's and The Golden Globes; oops, And SAG and Critics Choice.)"  Now if you know me, or you've taken "The Ride" before, then you know that the Oscar's are a big (yes) HUGE thing for me, but my very, next favorite awards show is in fact "The Tony's," and they were just on this past Sunday night, which is one of the reasons that Broadway is so much on my mind tonight.  The other reason is because Lyndzi and I will be going to see "Mamma Mia" when we're in New York and she herself is becoming more and more enamored with the the theater.  We were talking about our upcoming trip today , and she actually said, "I bet when you walk through the theater door it's just magic."  That's my girl!

So in honor of "The Tony's", I thought I'd play "Gimme Five" -  Broadway Musicals.  Which really should be, "Gimme Five" - Favorite Broadway Musicals, but I didn't like how that title ran into a second line. (Go figure... )  Anyway, as an added bonus, I'm including one number from each show / movie. 

1.  "Funny Girl" 

2.  "Hairspray"

3.  "RENT"

4.  "Wicked"

5. "Hello Dolly"

I could go on and on; but since it's "Gimme Five," I'm gonna stop now and let you have a turn.  I'd love for you to play along, so if ya wanna join in, just leave your comments here or on Facebook.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

No comments: