Monday, November 8, 2010

(43-104) Check Her Out...

If you've ever read "The Bumpy Ride" before, then you know that I am a BIG fan of food related shows.  In the past I've mentioned "Top Chef," "Master Chef," "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives," "The Amazing Food Truck Race," and "The Best Thing I Ever Ate;" just to name a few.   And tonight, I want to write about a Chef that regularly appears on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate"; "Chopped," as well as on her show "Alex's Day Off," on The Food Network.
The Chef that I'm referring to is Alex Guarnaschelli.  Alex  is the executive chef at Butter restaurant in New York City; and I first became aware of her on an episode of "Iron Chef America," a couple of years ago.  Alex is an Italian American, New Yorker, who received her culinary training in France.  I love to watch Alex because she is an ample sized woman who loves food and makes no apologies for it.  There's something about the tone of Alex's voice that I find captivating and I thoroughly enjoy her vivid descriptions of the food that she prepares as well as the food that she eats.  Just as Renee Zellweger told Tom Cruise in "Jerry Maguire," "You had me at hello;"  Alex had me, when she said "Breakfast is only complete if you are feeding yourself while you're cooking;"  while she was making this outrageous bacon, which can be seen in the clip that I've provided, from "Alex's Day Off."

Because I'm such an Alex fan, I DVR her show; in which she frequently cooks her favorite comfort foods.  I watched the latest episode today while I was emptying my dishwasher and even though I'm not a lasagna fan; she enticed me to want to make a lasagna the next chance that I get.  I've actually never really eaten lasagna because I don't like Ricotta cheese; but Alex made hers with fresh Mozzarella and Parmesan; so this lasagna was one that I could really take a bite of.  As if the Lasagna recipe itself, wasn't enough; Alex also made chocolate pudding from scratch.  What I find most amusing about this is that when I was comprising my "100 MORE Random Things About Me" list, I was going to mention that I love the kind of chocolate pudding that you cook and refrigerate as opposed to the  liquidy kind; but because I didn't think that I could phrase it right, I left it off.  Now today here's Alex, cooking up EXACTLY the kind of pudding that I love; so phraseology aside, I just had to mention it.

I think that it's safe to say that I like to watch TV personalities that I can relate to.  People that I could see as my friends; and that's definitelyy the case with Alex.  If you've never watched her show before and you give it a try or attempt one of her recipes; please comment or email me and let me know what you think. Also, if you've been to Butter or you go in the future; I'd love to hear about that too.  Honestly, I think she's got a lot to offer and she's too good to miss; so in the interest of (say it with me,) "The Greater Good;"  check her out.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

1 comment:

Joni Parker said...

I like to watch those cooking shows too..and I know her from Iron Chef judging. I didn't realize she had a show..I'll have to figure out when it's on so I can be sure to catch it.