Monday, November 1, 2010

(43-97) The BEST Caramel Apple Recipe EVER...

Our friend David (yes, SMF David;) is a dessert master.  He makes outrageous brownies (from scratch;) and he's even whipped up some Bananas Foster on a couple of occasions; but last night, he made homemade caramel sauce so that the kids could make caramel apples; and I must say; it was TO DIE FOR!

Now when I say that the caramel apples were to die for; you have to understand that I've NEVER been a a fan of caramel before.  Maybe it's because I had braces on and off for 8 years when I was a kid, and caramel was a forbidden fruit.  Or perhaps it was because my LOVE for chocolate precluded me from considering any other dessert topping.  But as I've gotten older, I've noticed that my tastes have changed.  I don't ALWAYS choose a chocolate dessert when options are available.  In fact, I seem to be choosing it less and less.  BUT, if someone put a fudge covered apple and a caramel apple in front of me; that caramel wouldn't stand a chance of getting eaten; UNLESS, it was David's caramel apple; and THAT is really saying something. 

When I was trying to decide on a title for this post, I went to the Thesaurus and typed in delectable.  I didn't find a word that I found was strong enough to impress upon you how amazing this caramel was; so I typed in orgasmic; and believe it or not; orgasmic was not in the Thesaurus; which really surprised me; but I think you get the picture now.  The caramel was thick, and buttery and pared with the tartness of the Granny Smith apple; it was a match made in heaven.  I could go on and on about how scrumptious this caramel apple was; but instead; in the interest of (say it with me,) "The Greater Good."  I'm going to share David's recipe with you:

Caramel:
1 Cup butter (2 sticks or half a pound)
1 pound brown sugar (2 and a quarter Cups)
1 Cup light corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk (15 ounces )
1 t vanilla


Mix the butter, sugar, syrup and condensed milk in a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium to high heat until a candy thermometer indicates 245 F. Stir continuously. Add the vanilla at the very end of the boil. (If not using for dipping and you want a pan of caramel; Pour into 9X9 buttered pan.)
For dipping apples: use 12-15 small, Granny Smith apples. Make handles for each apple by firmly inserting a short, sharpened bamboo stick into each. Hold the stick so that the amount that should go into the apple protrudes beyond your closed hand and push firmly into the apple while the apple rests on a hard surface. Whatever technique you use, note that the stick can easily protrude from the side of the apple if you use too little planning. Dip the apples into the caramel at an angle to thoroughly coat the sides. Allow a bit of the excess caramel to drip off then rotate the apple to allow the caramel to cool a bit before setting it down. Place each dipped apple on a non-stick cookie sheet (buttered or otherwise;)but avoid wax paper as it sticks to the caramel and becomes a permanent part of the apple if used. The apples usually have to be cut off of the tray, so plan knowing that you will need room to maneuver the knife.

As always, I ask that if you try this recipe; please email me and let me know how it turned out.  I hope that you'll enjoy these mouth watering, caramel apples as much as I did.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

1 comment:

Joni Parker said...

I love Caramel...so does Joseph (and he loves apples). I will try to resist this recipe!!!