Friday, May 27, 2011

(43-304) What I Love About Sushi

I've mentioned Sushi in at least two posts that I could find in my archive.  "The Haunting", where I described the first time that I got hooked on Sushi, and in "100 Random Things About Me," where #11 was "I could eat Sushi every day."  Now Sushi in Arizona is not an every day kinda food (at least not for me), but I sure wish it was.

Since "The Haunting" gives a pretty vivid description of Sushi's attributes, I don't want to be redundant; so instead I'll tell you what I love about Sushi from a different standpoint. 

If you know a reputable place in Arizona to get Sushi; it will be very fresh.  I'm hard pressed to think of anything that tastes AS GOOD and is as good for you, as FRESH fish.  So that's definitely something that I love about Sushi.  It's a far different feeling than consuming a burger and fries, or even a salad for that matter, because there are typically diverse flavors and textures involved, and you don't have something laying in your stomach, unless you had the Moby Dick roll.

Another thing that I really love about Sushi is that it's always eaten with a friend who enjoys it as much as I do.  Sushi can be the great divider.  You either like it a lot or you won't eat it.  So if you're getting together with a non-Sushi lovin friend, they're not going to appreciate eating at a Sushi restaurant; whereas you can pretty much always find a friend to go out for Chinese or Italian with you.  I mention this because I think that having a meal with someone who shares your enthusiasm for the food, will only enhance your dining experience; and as Luis doesn't care for Sushi, whenever I go out for it, I'm always accompanied by a friend.

So why is Sushi on my mind?  Well today I had a thank you / goodbye lunch with my friend Shannon.  Shannon and I have been friends for years and she just so happened to be Kelsie's teacher this past year.  Shannon is also pregnant and moving to Florida next week, so I told her that I hadn't gotten her an end of the year gift, so that she would have to go to Starbucks with me instead.  Shannon had asked if we could go out to lunch at Fresh Wasabi, and I gladly, agreed.  It was about two years ago that I went to Fresh Wasabi for the first time, with Shannon.  They offer a vast assortment of Sushi, and everything is served promptly.  I've never had anything there that I didn't care for, and I definitely can't say that at all restaurants; so let's just suffice it to say, "me likey!"

Shannon got to Fresh Wasabi a few minutes before me, so upon my arrival she called my attention to a special that they were having.  Three rolls (from a limited menu) for $11.95  We  chose a Philly roll - just like bagels and lox, but bite sized and with a lil rice.  We had the shrimp tempura roll, which was sweet and savory.  Yum!  And we tried the Spicy, Tuna roll, which I hadn't ordered before, but enjoyed.  We also splurged and ordered our favorite roll that was not on the special.  The "First Love" had a crab mixture and a thin slice of salmon and a thin, thin, slice of lemon on top. So good, and indeed SO fresh!

I'm so glad that I got to have a farewell lunch with Shannon at the Sushi place that she introduced me to.  I wish her and her family a successful move, a short and complication free birth, and a lifetime of love and happiness.  My family and I will all miss her.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

No comments: