Monday, May 30, 2011

(43-307) Memorial Day Memory

I had a great day with my kids today.  We went to swim team practice, which was a treat for me, since (due to my work schedule)  I haven't actually stayed at practice with them since last Monday.  We then went to several stores.  I had an exchange and a return at Old Navy and I lucked out, as it happened that a shirt that I had purchased for only $5, had a small tear on the seam, and when I went to exchange it, I found it on sale for $3; so I was able to return the $5 shirt and buy a new one for just $3 - SCORE!  In addition to that, I found a sundress for Lyndzi, for $6 and another for Kelsie, that rang up for only $4.54.

Our day o deals continued, when we went to Michaels armed with several 40% off one item coupons, and 20% off your entire purchase (even sale items) coupons.  The girl's wanted to buy Nicky a motor for a rocket that he was building, since they hadn't given him a birthday present.  I gave Lyndzi a 40% off coupon and she and Kelsie were then able to purchase the motor for $6 plus tax instead of $10.  I gave Nicky a 40% off coupon and $2 to purchase some yarn that he wanted to make can telephones with; and then I used the 20% off coupon to buy lap tables for the girls (which were already on sale for $4.99), and a variety of inexpensive crafts; like felt that they wanted to use to make Barbie doll clothes, a little porcelain figure that Lyndzi wanted to paint, and a wood picture frame, that could be painted and decorated.  We had a big (yes) HUGE savings at Michael's and happily drove on to our next stop.

As we drove, I considered what I might blog about today.  I recalled Memorial Days from when I was a kid, and conjured up the memory of me, when I was in 6th grade, and the drum majorette in our town's Memorial Day Parade.  A picture truly is worth a thousand words; and the sad thing is that I KNOW I have a picture of me in my uniform with that humongous hat, but unfortunately I couldn't find it this evening.  I do promise, that once I turn up the picture, I will use it in a future post; and I am gonna make it my urgent business to find the picture before my 44th birthday.

Anyway, since I don't have the picture, I'll just have to do my best to share this memory with you.  I attended Woodglen Elementary School in New City, New York; and every year the marching bands from the schools in Clarkstown would participate in the Memorial day parade.  I remember that when I was in 5th grade we were told that they were holding try outs for baton twirlers for the parade.  I liked to twirl the baton, so I went to the try out where majorettes from Clarkstown North high school came to teach us a routine.  After a couple of days of practice, we had our auditions, and I didn't get a spot. I was disappointed, but once they announced that anyone in 5th or 6th grade could be a pom pom girl, I quickly got over it.  I remember making my pine green and white pom poms out of crate paper, and marching through the streets, while the green dye from the crate paper stained my fingers.

In 1979 I was in 6th grade,  and once again as Memorial day approached; they announced that there were going to be try outs for baton twirlers.  I thought I'd give it another shot, and after several days of practice, the audition was  held and I got a spot.  They then announced that any of the baton twirlers were eligible to try out to be the drum majorette.  I'm not sure that I even knew what the drum majorette did, but I decided to give it a go; and I was selected.  Thankfully my mom sewed, so she had no trouble making me a cute, little uniform to accompany the enormous hat that I had to wear.  I remember practicing with the band, and proudly marching with the long baton, but I don't think that our music teacher ever told me that my real purpose was to tell the band where to march or what time to keep.  I had a great time being the drum majorette, even though I had no idea what I was doing.

Oh how I wish that I could find the picture of my mouth full of metal, my short hair flipping out under the big, Q-tip hat, and my cute uniform.  Fingers crossed that it will turn up soon.  In the meantime, I  send my gratitude to the men and women of our military, (past and present) who so bravely serve our country and keep us safe.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

No comments: