Tuesday, January 11, 2011

(43-168) A Fresh Coat of Paint...

As much as my family LOVES to spend time together; and as much as I plan for us to do; it is unfathomable to me that Luis could have unused vacation days at the end of his year; and yet, somehow he does.  I'm sure that I had him save some time up because we wanted to go camping; but didn't.  Or we planned to go to Disneyland; but postponed, and ultimately as we approach the end of his year, he now has vacation days at his disposal.

Luis took off as many days as he could during the kids winter break; and still, he had quite a few left over.  So last week he was supposed to be off on Thursday, in addition to his usual Friday and Saturday; and I asked him if he could give our white walls a fresh coat of paint. 

Now, if you've been in my home, or seen pictures of my home; then you know that the walls in our entry / playroom, and kitchen/ family room, are white and yellow.  They've been white and yellow for the eight years that we've lived in our home and well over two years ago, we discussed changing the colors; but to date we have not.  NO, this wasn't a case of indecision; it was just a matter of funds and time; because, if you've ever been in my home or seen pictures of it, then you know that in our front room, we have very HIGH celings; about 19 feet or so; and in order to paint them, Luis expected to have to rent scaffolding in additon to the other costs involved.  BUT since Luis was going to have a little extra time on his  hands; I asked if we could just seize the day; and PAINT!

I'm not sure how it happened, but in the 17 years that Luis and I have been together, he has become quite handy; and lucky for us, painting is at the top of the list of home improvements that he does well.  Luis went to Lowe's and brought home some color charts of white paint.  After narrowing down our selection; I suggested that instead of white; we use a paint in the "beige" family, so we could at least get the color change underway.  We settled on a color called Oat bran; and by Thursday afternoon, Luis had all of the walls taped and he was hard at work.  It's amazing what a difference some new paint can make. The walls were looking GOOD; and believe it or not; he even managed to paint the high wall without scaffolding.  I KNOW!  With just a standard ladder, a roller and an extender that he used to change the high light bulbs, he was able to reach the highest part of the wall.  I don't think that I would have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself.

Well, Luis will be off on Thursday through Sunday this week, and other than coaching Kelsie's soccer game; would you like to guess what he'll be doing?  Yup, you got it, PAINTING!  WOOHOO!!!!  Now that Luis has managed to start changing our home from drab to FAB, he is gungho to continue with our lil renovation; and we are so excited.  I am so grateful to Luis for all of his hard work and ingenuity.   I've said it before and I'll say it again; I am blessed, I am blessed, I am oh so blessed!
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

1 comment:

Joni Parker said...

I have some painting that needs done...Can I borrow him?