Monday, January 31, 2011

(43-188) A Good Book

I absolutely adore reading; but it's something that I don't get to do very often.  Typically I read a couple of books over the summer, while my kids are at swim team practice; and whenever we go to Mexico, I can usually find the time for a book or six; but during the year; not so much.  With that being said; where there's a will thre's a way; which is why I've been stealing a few minutes here and there to read  "Sleeping Arrangements" by Madeleine Wickham.

When I wrote "Authors," I mentioned that I was still waiting for the Sophie Kinsella "Shopaholic" series to be available at my library.  Every time I go there, I rush eagerly to the aisle where I might find the sequels; and I have yet to find book two available.  Being the Queen of FOLLOWING THE RULES, I have no interest in reading the books out of sequence; so I switch gears and look for something else.  Well, about a year ago, a librarian informed me that Sophie Kinsella also wrote books under the name Madeleine Wickham; and as luck would have it, on my last trip to the library, I was able to check out two of her books.

I had wanted to read "Eat,Pray,Love" for quite some time; and over the summer my friend Shannon had lent it to me.  I read a couple of chapters and thought it was OK; but I never finished it; not even close.  I hadn't read another book in the mean time; until I took out "Sleeping Arrangements."  Just two pages in, and I could tell that this was a book that I wasn't going to be to put down; and I was right.  I just love Sophie/Madeleine's voice; and even though reading her words makes me question what in the world I think I'm doing; I'm still compelled to read on.

Feeling awestruck, and inspired by my current read; I thought I'd look for some quotes on books and reading; and I found a few that I felt were worth sharing:

1. " A house without books is like a room without windows."
~Heinrich Mann

2.  "To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting."
~Edmund Burke

3.  "Never judge a book by its movie."
 ~J.W. Eagan

4.  "You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend."
 ~Paul Sweeney

And to quote John Burroughs "I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

1 comment:

Joni Parker said...

Very nice.. i too like to read, but have trouble finding the time. I like JD Robb (not Nora Roberts full blown romances but rather her "in Death "series she writes under JD ROBB), Janet Evonovich, JA Jance... Lawrence Block, mystery/romance I guess...