Sunday, January 23, 2011

(43-180) The Toddler Laws Of Property

If you've ever read "The Bumpy Ride" before; I'm sure this title seems untimely.  If you're new to The Ride; I'll explain that it's been quite some time, since I've personally had a toddler.  My son, Nicky is now 11 1/2, my daughter, Lyndzi is nine and my youngest; Kelsie, is seven.  But when Kelsie was two, I bought her a t-shirt with "The Toddler Laws Of Property" on it, and I've kept it all this time; because I wanted to use what was written on it for a scrapbook page; ONE DAY.

Sure; I could have written down what was on the shirt, and then gotten rid of it; but this is me that we're talking about, and I don't always do things the easy way.  I'll be honest, I'm not even sure where the shirt was.  I thought I had it on the top shelf of Kelsie's closet; yes, yes, I'm going to stick with that.  It WAS on the top shelf of Kelsie's closet; so what it was doing downstairs, and wet at that; I have no idea; but that's where and how I found it this morning.

I re-read the shirt; and it gave me the same chuckle that it did, years ago when I first saw it.  If you've never seen this shirt, and you have a toddler, have had a toddler or ever met a toddler; I think it will give you a smile too:

The Toddler Laws Of Property
1.  If I like it, it's mine
2.  If it's in my hand, it's mine
3.  If I had it a little while ago, it's mine
4.  If it looks just like mine, it's mine
5.  If I think it's mine, it's mine!

I loved when my children were babies, so small and new; and as they grew into toddlers, I cherished those moments too.  Everything was a discovery, what foods tasted like or why different things worked the way they did; including themselves.  Each of my children were so different from each other; which is why I never would have bought this shirt for Nicky or Lyndzi; but for Kelsie, it was perfect. With each child I learned more about individuality, patience and flexibility. Oh I loved having young children; but, there is definitely something to be said for the blessing of communication.  As your children get older they are able to tell you when something is hurting them or they don't feel well.  You are able to talk with them about their happiness and their sorrow; and you are able to merge your relationship to where not only are you parenting them; but you're enjoying each others company.

I'm so glad that I came across Kelsie's shirt today.  It reminded me of how far we've come and how much fun and love we've shared getting there.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

1 comment:

Joni Parker said...

Funny. Having only 1...we never went through the MINE phase.