Wednesday, January 26, 2011

(43-183) Whatcha Need

The other day, my friend, Michelle M posted, "I finally know what I want;" as her Facebook status.  To which I was tempted to reply, "Is what you want, whatcha need?"  Which is a line from  Mama Odie's song, "Dig a little Deeper" from "The Princess and The Frog."   For the sake of this post, The relevant lyrics are: "You got to dig a little deeper
Find out who you are
You got to dig a little deeper
It really ain't that far

When you find out who you are
You'll find out what you need
Blue skies and sunshine guaranteed"

I'd venture to say that "Princess and The Frog" is one of my all time favorite Disney movies; and one of the biggest reasons why, is that; it makes a lot of sense.  It's not an old fashioned fairy tale.  One of the messages is as simple as what the song suggests; "what you WANT isn't necessarily what you NEED;" and you need to take the time to figure out who you are, and what it is that YOU in particular NEED, to find your happiness.  People may think that they WANT a lot of money; BUT, they don't necessarily NEED a lot of money to be happy.  As for me; I WANT to be a writer; and I do believe that this is also what I NEED to do. 

I suppose because I never posted that comment to Michelle, the idea of whatcha need, remained on my mind.  Coupled with the fact that my kids have been watching "Princess and The Frog" quite a bit lately, and I' can't get the catchy tune outta my head.  BUT, I also found another perfect example of this what you want vs whatcha need concept; when I was watching an episode of "Your OWN show" on OWN (The Oprah Winfrey Network.)  Now if you haven't seen this show; basically, Oprah is having a reality competition show, that would provide the winner with, right; their own show on OWN.  Say that a couple a times fast.  Anyway, the contestants are divided into two teams, and each week one contestant is eliminated; and in the episode that I'm talking about, Arsenio Hall was the guest mentor
Aunt Flora
and this woman, who goes by the name of Aunt Flora, insisted that she be the person on her team to interview Arsenio; even though some of her other teammates would have been better suited for this task.  Now before I go on; I wouldn't be me if I didn't say; "doesn't Aunt Flora resemble Mama Odie?"   But I digress.  So here's the thing ~ Aunt Flora WANTED to interview Arsenio; but it's not what she NEEDED to do; because she stunk at it. Interviewing in a late night TV show format was not her forte AT ALL.  The woman claims to be a cook and seems to want to have a cooking show; but she saw Arsenio, and got really excited; I mean REALLY excited.  Basically she said "I want to be the one to interview Arsenio," and then she gave her team no choice in the matter.  So they let her have her way; and she had her way, all the way out the door, as she got eliminated from the show. See there Aunt flora; ya shoulda listened to Mama Odie. What you wanted was absolutely NOT whatcha needed; and now your opportunity is lost. I don't want the same to happen to you guys. SO, in the interest of (say it with me,) "The Greater Good," listen to me; listen to Mama Odie; and find out who you are and you'll find out what you need.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

1 comment:

Joni Parker said...

I'm still searching, I think!!