Friday, August 13, 2010

(43-17) Sweet Treats

Last night Luis and Nicky wanted to have a guy's night out for dinner and they of course went to their mutual favorite, "ass burrito;" which left the girls and I to fend for ourselves.  In the interest of having something yummy AND cost effective; we went to Cracker Barrel. Now if anyone hasn't had the pleasure of eating at a Cracker Barrel, I'll just describe it as some Southern, down home goodness. The food is NOT gourmet by any stretch of the imagination, but it's comfort food that hits the spot. There are SEVERAL reasons that I enjoy Cracker Barrel: 1. They have THE CUTEST country store and I love to meander around and peruse their wares. 2. Complimentary biscuits and apple butter. 3. Anyone can order from their kids menu (in fact it says, kids of any age) 4. They make MAGNIFICENT Macaroni n cheese, SCRUMPTIOUS Sourdough croutons, HEAVENLY Hash brown casserole, and FABULOUS Fried apples; just to name a few.
Since my week had been stress-FULL, I thought some Cracker Barrel Mac n cheese might be good for what ailed me. I ordered the kid size portion, which believe it or not was JUST PLENTY and our bill came to a whopping $12.85; which truly could not be beat.
Once we were through with our meal, we looked around the country store and as I was paying our bill, I noticed a jar of Zotz; (one of my FAVORITE childhood candies.)  I asked the cashier for some watermelon Zotz and much to my delight they cost only 39 cents for 4.  What a score!!!  Now for those of you who have never heard of or tried Zotz; they are "where the fizz izz!"  Zotz are individually wrapped, flavored, hard candy with a powder candy in the middle; and when the powder gets wet, it fizzes.  I guess you could liken it to a hard candy with Alka Seltzer in the middle, only tastier.  Now I really can't tell you exactly why I liked Zotz so much, but after having one today; I can affirm that indeed I still do!!

When I was growing up in "The Condo," our ice cream man sold Zotz and I have a very vivid memory of being in second grade and trading my "boyfriend" to "slendiferous" Judy for HER Zotz. So when I got home from dinner last night, I wrote on Judy's Facebook wall and let her now that I had bought some Zotz and thought of her.  I suppose that Judy thought that I had gotten the better end of the deal all of those years ago, because she wrote back and wanted to know why I didn't buy her any. So Judy, expect a small package when you least expect it...

Since I've always been overweight, candy wasn't something that I ate a lot of; but surely there were candies that I liked. As a kid I would have wanted a piece of chocolate, or Zotz of course; and a Wacky Wafer or Bottle Cap wouldn't have been too bad either; but as I've gotten older, I've found that my candy interests have changed.  I'd rather have a piece of dark chocolate than milk chocolate and I seem to like my flavors mixed - sweet and sour, sweet and spicy or sweet and salty.
My latest fave craves are Pretzel M & M's; which I HIGHLY recommend if you haven't already tried them; and Hot Tamales.  What can I say; sometimes we can ALL just use a little extra sweetness in our day.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Cracker Barrel!!!! And they have Bit-O-Honey!! And the BEST french toast!! YUM!! Now I'm HUNGRY! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

I must know what "Ass Burrito" is...is that a restaurant? If so, please email me the address... Great story...takes me back...