Tuesday, August 24, 2010

(43-28) Reality Check

As promised in my August 22 post "Hot & Huge," I'm coming right back atchya with the second part of my TV tutorial.  I've already covered the scripted shows that I've been watching, so now it's time for a reality check.  Fan of the written word that I am; I feel slightly guilty admitting that I watch far more reality TV than scripted TV but I suppose in all fairness that there are more reality programs on in the summer than new scripted programs. 
While thinking about the reality shows that I am currently watching, I realized that I can break them down to 2 categories; 1.  Shows about food and 2.  Shows about New Jersey.  I could just as well say that the 2 categories are 1.  Shows that I love and 2.  Shows that I love to hate or hate that I love.  I know, I know, if you hate it; why watch it - I'm right there with you but it's like a car wreck, you just can't look away.  As much as it repulses you, there's something compelling about it; and that's exactly how I feel about "Jersey Shore," "Jerseylicious," and "The Real Housewives of New Jersey."  Oh where do I begin?  First and foremost, let me say that I don't advocate that you watch any of these Jersey shows; and yet I can't stop myself.  "Jersey Shore" and "Jerseylicious" are guilty pleasures indeed.  I watch these shows thinking that the majority of these people look like such morons; they're petty and small and superficial and those are their good qualities.  Maybe I watch because their stupidity makes me laugh and because their lifestyle is SO different from what I've become accustomed to in Arizona; and yet parts of it are like a slice of home.  Now, if you haven't heard of or seen either of these shows, don't be alarmed.  "Jersey Shore" is in its second season on MTV and it's basically like the "Real World" but with an entire cast of  20 something Guido's and Guidettes.  I first started watching this show during a marathon last summer, and OK I got hooked.
"Jerseylicious" is on E;  it's about a hair salon in New Jersey and for the most part their isn't anything wrong with this show, EXCEPT for the most obnoxious, self-centered, conceited, hairstylist EVER - Tracy!   Tracy is dating the ex-boyfriend of makeup artist Olivia and she is bound and detemined to make Olivia's life a living hell.  Tracy is mean and annoying and I can't wait for someone to put her in her place.
Lastly, I've been dancing around it in a couple of blogs now, so it's time for me to discuss my discord with "The Real Housewives of New jersey."  I was a fan of this show last year; but in the same type of way that I enjoy my other Jersey shows; it's just a barrel of unexpected surprises.  Now last season the housewives proved themselves to be a little over the top and this season they've gone right over the top and off the deep end; ESPECIALLY Theresa Giudice.  Last season Theresa looked like a kind hearted ditz who thought money grew on trees.  This season she continued to flaunt her expensive tastes despite the fact that her husband has filed for bankruptcy.  I for one don't understand how if you've filed for bankruptcy you throw a christening for a baby that's equivalent to a big, east coast wedding.  How you go on a trip to Italy and a cruise while you're there and take not only your family of 6 but all 4 in-laws as well.  Now OK, I'm not naive; maybe just maybe Bravo (their network) paid for these things, but if that's the case; I sure would like them to say so.  I could go on and on and on with my criticism of "The Real Housewives of New Jersey;" sans redhead Caroline Manzo of course; but instead I choose to focus on the positive; so let's move on to FOOD!

At the top of my list of food shows STILL, is "Top Chef."  Top Chef is on Bravo,  and in case you haven't seen it yet, I would venture to say that it is the BEST cooking competition show out there.   Also, if you haven't already heard, Top Chef - Just Desserts will begin on September 15 -  what a treat; sign me up!
I've DVR'd but have yet to watch "Master Chef," (on FOX) but I sure plan to.  I enjoyed "The Next Food Network Star," and Aarti WAS my choice to win.  I just watched her first show "Aarti Party" the other day and I found her to be delightful.  I personally have never been a fan of Indian cuisine, but she put an Indian twist on sloppy joes and made some ice cream pops and I was already to give them a try; so I'll stay tuned.
I've also DVR'd but have yet to watch "The Great Food Truck Race," (The Food Network) but I have high expectations of this one.  It looks like "The Amazing Race" but with a huge food component.  I've watched Cupcake Wars; (Food Network)  and even though it's not the best of the food shows, it's still entertaining.  Of course I LOVE Triple D -  "Diner's, Drive-ins and Dives,"  and I never miss an episode of  "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" (both on The Food Network.)  Food glorious food; see what did I tell you; I love everything about it.  I don't just like to eat it; I take pleasure in  watching people cook it, I adore hearing people talk about it AND I've been learning a lot about how to prepare it and where to go get it.

Thank heavens for my DVR; it's probably the most used piece of equipment in my houseright now.  I know from the sound of my two TV posts it must seem that I spend a lot of time watching TV, but the truth is that I DVR the shows that I've mentioned, but there are a lot of days; (especially now that I'm writing ever day) that I don't even turn the TV on.  When I do find the time; the food shows are programs that I watch with my kids; and the Jersey shows are programs that I watch with my husband; and in these difficult times, I think that we can all use some distractions from our own reality.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

1 comment:

Joni Parker said...

I watch all those Food shows too! Plus lots of other Reality TV. Don't have a DVR..figure if I miss it, I miss it... no big loss. I don't SIT in front of the TV ... it's on while I'm doing other stuff...cooking, Scrapping...etc. But it's usually ON!! Thanks for another fun post!