Monday, August 23, 2010

(43-27) Red - A Retrospective


If you've read "The Bumpy Ride" before, or if you know me; then you KNOW that I have an EXTRAORDINARY husband.   The cause for my praise today is Luis' willingness to color my hair for me.  That's right; I said "color my hair."  I can't remember exactly when this favor started; but I do know that it's been several years, because I can recall him being ever so patient as he had to apply 2 boxes of color to my long hair.  Now that my hair is short it's much quicker and easier; and he swears to me that he really doesn't mind.  I know, Whatta Man!  And I sure am lucky to have him. So last night Luis gave me a long, overdue dye job.  I actually hadn't colored my hair since we were in Puerto Vallarta in May; and with a red color, that's just a sin because they fade SO QUICKLY.  Once my hair was dry and I looked in the mirror; I thought the same thing that I think every time; "WELCOME BACK!"  Whenever my hair is freshly done I always think I look so much more like myself.  And it's odd because as the color is fading, you recognize that, but until you actually color it and then see the difference; you don't realize how bad it had gotten.
I've been altering the color of my hair in one way or another, since my senior year of high school.  Whether it was  a cotton candy pink stripe, an eggplant wash, a Henna rinse or a dye in any shade of auburn or red; I've tried it.  To the best of my knowledge, my Mom's natural hair color was a dark brown, like mine; although I never saw it.  She was a redhead from the time I was born until she passed and it suited her well.  As I've written before, my Mom was vivacious, sassy, sexy and classy and her red hair and the attitude that came along with it, certainly made her stand out; which may be why I wanted to be a redhead.  It's not that I try to emulate my Mom, but I definitely admired her character and her personality and though I'll never be her; I think that I was meant to be a redhead as well.
There's just something about redheads; they're passionate, determined and unique; whether they were born red or chose to be and this is the way it's been since the beginning of time...
Case in point; Wilma Flintstone.  We all KNOW that she's the one who wore the pants in that family; even though Fred was bigger and louder; it was Wilma who called the shots in the cave. 
Following in Wilma's tiny footsteps was her daughter; the ever perky, Pebbles, who exuded control over Bam Bam EXACTLY as Wilma had done with Fred.
Redheads  made a real impression on me when I was growing up.  I just adored Maureen O'Hara; who played the refined and feisty Mom in the only REAL version of "The Parent Trap." Then of course there was my heroine; the quintessential redhead (even though we watched her in black and white - Now THAT's a RED HEAD!) No name necessary I think; and another comedic red haired genius; none other than Carol Burnett.

The 70's had it's share of strong and fabulous redheads... Although she hasn't been a redhead for many moons now; when The DIVINE Ms. M (Bette Midler for you youngins;) first burst onto the sassy scene she was INDEED a red head and her bawdy brilliance taught me a lot about being a SMART woman. Flo (Polly Holliday) from Alice; and don't tell me that there wasn't anyone who didn't want to "Kiss her grits." And of course there was the head of the best detective agency in town; Daphne from "Scooby Doo."
Now there is no way on earth that I can mention / picture,  EVERY redhead that has graced us with her presence, charmed us with her smile, made us laugh till we pee or sob uncontrollably;  but I will pay tribute to those who have touched me and to those who I believe embody what being a REDHEAD  is all about...
Under the category of Class and Sass; we've got the original Fergie (The Duchess of York,) Gerri Halliwell (Ginger Spice) and  Jessica Rabbit.
While mentioning Jessica, I should also mention the sultry redhead responsible for her speaking voice; Kathleen Turner.
Redheads who made / make me laugh, or cry or laugh until I cry; Madeline Kahn, Debra Messing, Kathy Griffin and Peg Bundy (Katey Sagal); just to name a few. Susan Sarandon who was  marvelous in everything from
"The Rocky Horror Picture Show," to "White Palace," with guess who? James Spader; not to mention "Stepmom" and "Deadman Walking" (which I never saw because it's not my kind of movie; but I know she won the Oscar for it, so I figured I'd better mention it.) Cynthia Nixon, who although she is not the funniest or the most beautiful of the "Sex And the City" gals;  there are moments where she is breathtaking and the gang would not be the same without her. Old fave, Molly Ringwald (I don't think I really need to give a reason to anyone whose lived through the 80's;) and new fave Amy Adams (have you seen "Enchanted"
or "Julie & Julia"?)
If we're talking music, there are vibrant, redheads in ALL genres;
Cyndi Lauper, Annie Lennox, Reba McEntire, Wynonna and Ariel (Yes, "The Little Mermaid.")

There are 2 feisty redheads that are regularly seen on TV and neither is an actress.  Both are no nonsense and straight talking.  And even though I really can't stand either of their shows; I have to give credit to Joy Behar  "The View" and Caroline Manzo "The Real Housewives of New Jersey."  Both of these ladies tell it like it is and they don't pull any punches; even if it makes others uncomfortable.  I like when people know who they are and these women are Redheads through and through.

This last woman may not always have been a redhead; but at the time that she fought one of the toughest battles of our lifetime; her hair was crimson red. I'm talking about none other than Judy Garland as Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz."
Red haired Dorothy battled the Wicked Witch of the West and her ingenuity led her to Victory.  Go RED!
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

2 comments:

Joni Parker said...

You crack me up!!! I posted about you on my blog today...

http://joniparkerstuff.blogspot.com/

Rachel said...

You are certainly in good company! You fit right in with all those feisty, sassy and powerful ladies! Loved reading this...