Thursday, August 26, 2010

(43-30) Kudos to Kelsie

In additon to wanting to share our love and our lives; one of the reasons that Luis and I wanted to have children, was so that we could bring people into this world who would go forth and contribute positively.  People who would be kind and compassionate, reliable and responsible, trustworthy and hard working.  Individuals who would try to make the world a better place.  And although I believe that our children are well on their way to becoming these kinds of people; today I heard a story about my youngest; Kelsie, that assured me that  we are on the right track.

Kelsie is in first grade and she came home from school on Tuesday and told me that something disgusting had happened in class.  I was intrigued, as this isn't something that I usually hear and I asked her to tell me all about it.  Kelsie explained that someone had pooped in class instead of going to the bathroom.  Of course I asked if the person had done it in front of the class; and Kelsie said "I don't think so."  I definitely needed more details at this point; so I asked her to tell me exactly what happened.  Kelsie explained that there was poop next to this one girl's desk and under her chair.  Repulsed as I was, I needed to press on with  my questioning;  but before I could utter another word, Kelsie said "And guess who found the poop?"  Oh dear lord, I knew what was coming next; and as soon as I asked "WHO?"  She said exactly what I knew she'd say; "ME!"  OK, Gross! Gross! Gross!  I asked Kelsie what she did when she found it and she said "I told the teacher."  I asked what the teacher did, and she said "Called the janitor."  POOR janitor!  I love our janitor, God bless her!!  I asked what happened to the student and Kels explained that the teacher had spoken to her in private.

So today I went to volunteer in Kelsie's class again; or at least that's what I told her.  The truth of the matter is that I knew that Kelsie was getting the Student of the Month award and I wanted to be at the assembly for her; but she's so darn sharp that I knew if she saw me AT the assembly, she'd figure out that she was student of the month; so instead I just said that I was volunteering in her class.  I was / am VERY proud of kelsie for being Student of the month. She has demonstrated that she knows when it's time to play and she knows when it's time to buckle down and do work.  I'm told that she is very well behaved and a great role model. Now what mom wouldn't be ecstatic to receive these compliments about their child?  But even better than that, was the story that her teacher told me about the poop incident.
Her teacher said, "I felt so bad that Kelsie had to be the one to find the poop; but she handled the situation so compassionately."  She said "Kelsie was very discreet when she told me what happened and she didn't make a big deal about it, so ultimately none of the other kids in the class had any idea what was going on and the pooper was not embarrassed." (Well she didn't say pooper...)  My chest swelled with pride and my heart smiled as the teacher told me this story; and I grew a new appreciation for the person that kelsie is becoming.  Many other children would have handled this situation so very differently; and I think Kelsie demonstrated maturity and compassion that we sometimes don't even see in adults.  I think it's safe to say that Luis and I are doing something VERY right.  Get ready world!!
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

1 comment:

Joni Parker said...

I'm not sure what to say?...Me speechless...?? I'm stuck between something funny (& therefore distateful) or just doing the right thing and agreeing with your Kudos to Kelsie. I'll go with the latter!!!