Tuesday, September 7, 2010

(43-42) My Plump Puppy

Just as my kids will always be my babies; Hershey (my Chihuahua) will always be my puppy. Hershey will be 2 years old on September 23 and we've had her since she was 3 months old. Hershey has always been a picky eater. Why should she be any different than my other kids? When we first got Hershey, a reliable source had told us that when Chihuahua's eyes are runny, it's due to a food allergy. The source then recommended that we buy her a food that was gluten free.

We tried a couple of different foods but nothing really interested her until I found a food called Good Life; at Target of all places.  The food was gluten free and the price was right; so we continued to buy it for her.  Hershey always ate her Good Life food, but I wouldn't say that I ever thought that she was enthusiastic about it; and so when her last bag ran out, I decided to try and find her a new food at PetSmart.
As soon as I approached the dog food aisle, there were two reps there who wanted to talk to me about their products.  The first rep showed me a food that I was pretty sure that Hershey had already tried and rejected.  I told her that Hershey was picky and she told me that if I didn't buy the food that the other rep was going to tell me about; then she could show me a food that she's never seen a dog refuse.  "Well why bother with the other rep," I thought; and I asked her to show me the failsafe food.
We walked over to a dog food called Bil-Jac; which was made of chicken, oatmeal and yams and was in fact gluten free.  The rep confessed that this was actually the food that her chihuahua ate and again stated "I've never seen a dog not like this food."  Since I knew that PetSmart would allow me to return the food if my choosy chihuahua didn't enjoy it; I thought it was a win win situation.

The next morning I opened Hershey's new food, and tried to give her a little piece to taste.  Hershey took the piece of food and brought it into the hallway (which is not unusual,) and then ignored it.  I thought "So much for no dog disliking this food;"  but then Hershey came right up to her bowl and chowed down like there was no tomorrow.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  The lady was right; Hershey LOVED this food.  She'd eaten until her heart was content. So much so, that I think she was in a little food coma for most of the day.
I was very happy to tell Luis and the kids that Hershey really seemed to like her new food; and later that night when we fed her again, Lyndzi watched Hershey eat her meal; looked at me and said "she's eating like a pig."  I thought that Hershey would slow down a bit once the novelty of the new food wore off, but she's still going strong 2 weeks later.  Luis keeps pointing out that Hershey has gained some weight; and he thinks I should put her on a lil doggie diet; or at least reduce her serving size a bit.  Well, i have to admit it, maybe the pup is getting a little portly, but she's just as active as ever; so I'm not really sure how to explain it.  We tease Hershey about getting chubby; but of course we'll love our plump pup through thick and thin.  
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Your baby is adorable!! And hehehehehe....my Dandy brings his food from the end of the hall into the livingroom all the time to eat it!! LOL! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

My dogs occasionally do the "food in the hallway" trick, but then they end up just chomping away at their bowls. Hershey looks so cute!!