Wednesday, September 15, 2010

(43-50) One Step At A Time

I considered a lot of different titles for this milestone post.  "One Foot In Front Of The Other,"  "Step by Step," "Small Victories," and "I'm On My Way," just to name a few.  I think that any of these titles would have been appropriate, because they all convey that ANY effort and EACH  accomplishment, will bring you that much closer to achieving your goal.  To quote Richard Dreyfuss as Dr. Leo Marvin in "What About Bob," "Baby steps, baby steps;"  and even if you haven't seen that hysterical movie; I'm sure that you know what I mean. 

When I decided that I was going to write my blog, everyday during my 43rd year; I knew that it was going to be a huge undertaking; especially if I wanted to maintain "The Bumpy Ride" as a storytelling blog, an observational humor blog, an advice for the (say it with me,) "Greater Good" blog, and not just a journal of my daily activities.  Now surely  I know that some of my posts have been better than others, but in the long run, it's all about the journey.  In addition to this being writing practice for me; it's also on its way to becoming a book of memories.  A book that will tell my children and the world EXACTLY who I was and what I did during the year that possibly could have been my last.  So will I share music that I like; you betcha, because how else will my kids know what put a smile on my face and made me want to shake my groove thing.  I still remember songs that were my mom's faves; and every time that I hear one, I am happily reminded of her.  I think that it's important for me to write about the people in my life that make it special.  The triumphs and the failures, my hopes and my fears; my mistakes and my successes.   And speaking of, tonight I have 2 reasons to celebrate.   First, this post is now the fiftieth in my "43" endeavor.  It's hard to believe that I've already got 50 posts under my belt. Time is already flying by; and honestly, I'm looking forward to seeing what I create in the next 50 days.  When I break it down like that, 316 more doesn't sound quite as intimidating.

I am very happy to report that my second cause for celebration is my submission in the "Glamour magazine" essay contest.  At approximately 530 this afternoon; my fine tuned essay (thanks to the help of Michelle M and Lesa G,) was entered into the contest that could award me $5000 and an opportunity to meet with an agent; and I'll modestly say, that I believe that I submitted a fine piece of work.

I have set many goals for myself in the past 50 days, and I believe that I am ready for all of the challenges that I am presenting to myself this year; because to quote Gandhi, I am going to "be the change that I want to see in the world."
Change is most often accomplished "One Step At A Time."  Each step puts you closer to your goal, closer to the changes that you want to effect and although it can be scary; CHANGE can be a VERY good thing and each one, a cause for celebration.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

What About Bob?

3 comments:

Rachel said...

So impressed at how you are reaching for your dreams...go you! My father in law used to say, "don't look down". Keep your eyes on the prize.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

CONGRATS on getting the essay in!! YAY! :):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

I'm happy to hear you got it done and are happy with it!! That's just wonderful ...!! See you soon...(Julie gave me your addy)