Monday, September 6, 2010

(43-41) "The Great Food Truck Race"

In my August 24, 2010 post; "Reality Check," I wrote "I've also DVR'd but have yet to watch "The Great Food Truck Race," (The Food Network) but I have high expectations of this one.  It looks like "The Amazing Race" but with a huge food component."  And boy was I right!!  A couple of weeks ago, my kids and I started watching the episodes of "The Great Food Truck Race," that we'd DVR'd and we immediately got hooked! 

"The Great Food Truck Race" began in Los Angeles on August 15, 2010 with 7 specialty food trucks; (NOT roach coaches;)  from different parts of the country.  Each week they must drive to a designated city after cleaning out their pantries and once they arrive at their destination, they are given a certain amount of money to buy their ingredients.  Once they buy their supplies, they can set up shop anywhere they choose; however, at some point during their stay, they will get a call from the host, Tyler Florence; who will advise them of a "Truck Stop," which is basically a challenge that if won, can provide them with immunity from elimination or money towards their total till, which could ultimately preclude them from elimination.  The team who has earned the least money at the end of each challenge is eliminated.  So far the trucks have been in San Diego, Santa Fe, Fort Worth and New Orleans.  In Next week's episode, they'll be in Jonesborough,TN population 5,000 and the race will culminate in New York City.

My 11 year old son Nicky, brought up an interesting question the other night.  We were discussing the show and he said "Why do they call it The 'Great Food Truck Race' if they're not racing?"  Point well taken; and the answer is; I'm not sure.  But truth be told, it wouldn't really matter to me what they call it, becasue I just enjoy the show for what it is, which is basically a mobile cooking competition.

There are currently only 3 teams remaining; and I can tell you that during each episode the kids and I cheered, when the losing team was announced.  We ALL love this show.  And last night the kids asked Luis to inflate our Aero-bed so that we could all lay down and watch it together.  It's amazing to me how our entire family is always in full agreement about which team we want to go home.
We like the Nom Nom Truck from Los Angeles. They serve Vietnamese style sandwiches and they are EXTREMELY smart.  They typically try to partner up with a local business and they've been leading the pack the entire way; but the team that we like best is called Grill Em All; and they're also from LA.  Maybe it's because Grill Em All makes gourmet burgers that make your mouth water just to look at them; or because they seem to be a bunch of down to earth underdogs.  I'm not exactly sure; but nonetheless, we like these guys.

So, in the interest of (say it with me,) "The Greater Good;"  I'm going to encourage you to watch "The Great Food Truck Race."  It's not too late for you to see the 4 episodes that you've missed thus far; and the next new episode won't be on until Sunday night, so you should have time to catch up or at least start taping the episodes that remain.  "The Great Food Truck Race" is a show for anyone who enjoys food competitions, and if you haven't already seen it; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  If you check it out; let me know what you think.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

1 comment:

Joni Parker said...

Every Sunday my TV is ON FOOD NETWORK....I have not missed these!! You have good "taste"...pun intended!!!