Tuesday, September 14, 2010

(43-49) Down To The Wire

Why, Why, Why do I procrastinate??  In my August 8th post "My Something Special," I mentioned the "Glamour Magazine" essay contest; which I've known about for at least a month and a half, and yet with a September 15th 11:59pm deadline looming; I still haven't subnitted my essay.

The topic is "My Real Life Story" and so I'm finally penning the saga of how Luis and I met.  I have to say that I find it ironic that I haven't been able to complete the essay when I'm writing a story that I've told a million times; but I suppose that's just it ~  it's a story that I've TOLD a million times and not one that I've written before.   And it's such a wonderful and important story, that I just want it to be perfect.

A couple of weeks ago I started writing the essay in my head and I WAS ON A ROLL; but I was in bed, and it was late; so I didn't get up to write it down; and to quote Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman," (say it with me;) "BIG Mistake; HUGE!!"  I should have gotten up right then and there and I would have been done weeks ago.  Instead I waited and when I sat down to write last week, I just didn't haven't it goin on.  A few days later, my kids all had dental check ups, so I took a notebook with me, so that I could write while I was waiting.  I was able to write a better intro than I had in my first attempt but it wasn't until tonight that I was able to sit down and work on it again. 

Well, I'm very happy to say that I'm ALMOST done.  The story is written, now I just need to edit; but Queen of OVER ANALYZING that I am; editing can take as long as writing the submission did; if not longer; and I'm running out of time. 
I am REALLY determined NOT to let this opportunity pass me by.  Even if I don't win, at least I'll know that I tried; because one thing's for sure, if I DON'T enter, then it would be impossible for me to win and like these odds better.

I think it's very important to learn something new everyday and today's lesson has been an extremely, valuable one.  It's never a good idea to wait till it's down to the wire to do something (especially something that's important to you.)   This isn't news to me.  I don't let my kids procrastinate; and I shouldn't either.  I need to walk the walk not just talk the talk.   And I NEED to edit my essay.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

3 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhh good luck with the essay! :):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

You've got a busy day today!!! Good Luck!!

Rachel said...

You did it, you did it! Whoohoo!