Monday, September 13, 2010

(43-48) For the Love of Art

When I wrote "Art Imitates Life" on August 29, 2010 I shared a drawing that my 8 year old daughter, Lyndzi had done and entered in the MIX 96.9 Fridge Art contest.  At first I shared the link to the contest because I thought that you could vote; but I had jumped the gun a bit, because this was not the case.
I edited the blog before you'd even had a chance to see it; so that you wouldn't know that I had NO IDEA what I was talking about.  No offense to MIX 96.9 but the rules of the contest weren't very clear.  The only information that the website provided was:  Round 1 Voting runs from 9/13 - 9/27 @ 8:00am
Top 50 Voting runs from 9/27 - 10/11 @ 8:00am and Top 25 Voting runs from 10/11-10/25 @ 8:00am

There are 3 age categories and in 8-10, where Lyndzi is entered, there are actually ONLY 25 contestants; so really they're already in the top 25 and where exactly they go from there, I have no clue. 
So today we got an email from the radio station and they explained that each child had a link that we could share in social networks and blogs to encourage people to vote.  This process leads me to believe that sadly the contest really isn't about talent but about which child's parent can facilitate the most votes.  OY!!  I'm not really sure what to make of this.  I'm not going to say that Lyndzi's drawing is the best of the bunch; but I would certainly think that she was in the top 5; and yet, unless I can persuade people to vote for her on a daily basis, she might not do well in this contest at all.

Lyndzi is an artist down to her core, and she deserves to win this contest because, just like I know in my soul that I HAVE to write; at the tender age of 8, she KNOWS that that she HAS to create art.  Art is her passion and she takes great pride in her work.  I don't think that Lyndzi should win because her mom was able to solicit the most votes; but then again, if I don't try to secure DAILY votes, then she doesn't stand a chance; so, I HAVE to ask for your help.  Please take a moment to vote for Lyndzi; and then, even though it's difficult for me to ask this; could you PLEASE do so just once EVERY day until September 27th?  Now as if I haven't asked enough already, I'm gonna show some real chutzpah (fearlessness, balls, boldness) and request that you share the link with as many people as possible.  You might send a quick email to friends and ask them to vote for Lyndzi; even if they do so just once.) If you felt so inclined, you could also post the link in your Facebook or Twitter account.  I'm sure that sounds like a lot to do for a little girl that you might not know; but if you KNOW me; then you know that I would do it for you, and also that when it comes to my child I'll stop at nothing to encourage their dreams.

At this point in time, I'm still not sure if the decision making gets turned over to the radio station or to a panel on October 25th or what exactly what will happen at that juncture; but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  For now I just want to get Lyndzi as far along as possible and I feel really confident that with YOUR help she'll have a great chance.  Our world will be a very dull place without new generations of all kinds of artists; so we owe it to the world to foster creativity in our children.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

3 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Voted!! And I loveeeeeeeeeeeee her drawing! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

Will do.... the site is blocked from my work so I'll have to do it each night from home. --

Rachel said...

Doin' it every day!