Saturday, September 25, 2010

(43-60) MISS Interpretations

I am the Queen of COMMITMENT; The Queen of KEEPING MY WORD, and sadly, The Queen of  GETTING BIT IN THE ASS.  Suffice it to say that the last 24 plus hours have NOT been my happiest.  I'm not going to regale you with the gory details; but trust me when I tell you that once again my good intentions have been misconstrued, misrepresented and miscommunicated. 

I have learned that as fond as I am of words; I am going to have to pay much closer attention to the ones that come out of my mouth; because even though I may mean something in a certain way, that might not be the way that the person I'm speaking to interprets what I've said.
  
Perhaps you're surprised that I'm only coming to this realization now; but I have to say; that even though I haven't lived on the east coast in 13 1/2 years; I WAS born and raised there and thus have developed my communication style in such a manner.  People on the east coast seem to speak more directly, and speak their mind more than people in the west. Some may say that people from the east coast are rude for doing so; but being direct and speaking your mind doesn't necessarily mean that one has to be rude or insensitive. I'm NOT saying that I think either is better or worse.  I'm NOT saying that either is good or bad; I'm just saying that sometimes when people with different styles of talking have a conversation; one may need to be more particular about what they say and how they say it; and it seems that I for one, need to pay more attention to this.    I have no intention of changing who I am entirely, but I will be monitoring myself a lot more closely, because I've found that although someone speaks a certain way to you; they're not always OK with you speaking the same way to them.  Although you may have kid around with people in the past; if they're not in the mindset to kid around (which really, how could you know;) then anything and everything that you say in a joking manner can be misunderstood; and quite honestly it's not worth the drama.  So, I suppose that I'll have to put this on my list of things to work on changing; and quick.
Truth be told, I LIKE who I am and I don't really want to change (much;) but if it will decrease my stress; then it's worth a try.  If not, I may just have to stick to the written word and find myself a nice cave.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... i get ya... lol..... my mouth sometimes forgets that I no longer live in NY! LOL :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

I kinda get what you're saying. I know I get in trouble sometimes because of my dry wit...some people don't get it. And dry wit and sarcasm fall even shorter written rather than verbal. Thanks for the reminder to keep an eye on myself!!