Sunday, September 19, 2010

(43-54) The Importance of Friends

This has been a friend filled weekend and that delights me no end.
On Friday night, Michelle M and I got together with our kids. We had an inexpensive meal at "Ass Burrito;" which I'm sure you'll find shocking if you ever read my post "A Lil Bit about Arizona;" but there is actually one place (OK maybe two) that I'll occasionally patronize.  Now I'm certainly NOT the Queen of ASS BURRITO, but I know what I like; so I'll share the 2 locales that I find enjoyable.  Roliberto's on 83rd Ave across the street from the Challenger Space Center, and  Federico's at 8777 W Grand Ave in Peoria.  I've only ever tried the carne asada nachos, the carne asada burrito and the  breakfast burrito; but I've liked what I've had.
After dinner, Michelle and I got coffee and then took the kids to Sonic for sundaes, because Michelle was owed 4 FREE sundaes from a mishap that occurred a number of weeks ago.  It was SO good to get together with Michelle, because we hadn't seen each other since before I went to Las Vegas.  We watched the "Top Chef" finale; and for those of you who watch it; I for one am very pleased that Kevin won.  We then watched the season finale of "Entourage;" which was nothing to write home about; in my opinion.  It was a very relaxing and well needed evening and a wonderful way to start my weekend.

Even though I already wrote about getting together with Julie and Joni, I'll say again how nice it was to spend time getting to know my new friends; and the same is true for Jenifer.  I for one don't think that you can ever have TOO many friends and I always welcome the opportunity to make a new one.  It's fun to hear people's stories and find commonalities between you.  Life can be so difficult sometimes, that I think it is really important to know that other people share similar experiences or views and also to hear about contrasting viewpoints, because it helps to expand your mind.  We're all individuals with our own set of experiences and beliefs; so we're never going to ALL get a long; but sometimes speaking to a friend with a contrary view point may help you to clarify your beliefs and understand others.  Don't get me wrong; thus far I haven't discovered any notable differences between me and my new friends; I was just talking in generalities and extolling the virtues of making new friends; no matter your age.

Tonight we had dinner with our friend's Kara and Casey and their five kids.  We've known Kara and fam since Nicky was about 10 months old and we met at Gymboree.  Although Kara lives less than 5 minutes from me, we only get together once every couple of months, because "Life happens." And between us and our 8 kids combined; we're kinda busy.  But, I must say that whenever we do get together, we always have a splendid time and chat very cathartically; and tonight was no different.

After we got home from Kara's  I found that I had two emails.  One was a Facebook notification that my old roommate, Tammy had written on my wall.  Tam sent some unexpected Love my way; and my heart smiled.  Tammy and I had lived together in Tarrytown, New York and then we moved to an apartment in Yonkers.  It seems like a lifetime ago since we were roommates but my fondness for Tammy has never dissipated.
The second email was from my high school friend, Cindy; who's the person that had told me about the "Glamour" essay contest.  I had emailed Cindy after I had submitted my essay and she asked if she could read it.  I emailed it to her and she gave it a glowing review and encouraged me to keep going.  I have very high regard for Cindy and I value her opinion; so the fact that she was impressed by my essay, was remarkable to me.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  I feel SO blessed to have the friends that I do. Since I've lost my parents and I'm estranged from my brother; I think Edna Buchanan's quote sums my feelings on the matter best.  “Friends are the family we choose for ourselves.”  Of course we're not THAT close to each and every friend; some may be more like the equivalent of a Great Aunt or Uncle or a long lost cousin; but family nonetheless.
I've enjoyed all of my weekend, friend moments one and all; and I am extremely grateful for all of my friends and all of the time that we're given.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

3 comments:

Phoenix Carrie said...

It is we who are lucky to have YOU!!! I love you Paige!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for friends! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

I second what Julie said.... by the way..do you remember that little conversation we had about people getting names wrong and all the different names that people call us....??? So here is my 2 cents..

My Dear Friend HOPE.... You called me JODI in your post... it's JONI not JODI.... (but JODI is one that I get often often often)... I still don't get the Paige/Hope thing though!! You know I'm kidding you!!! Hugs!!!