Sunday, March 6, 2011

(43-222) Pennies In MY Pocket

I am a big fan of symmetry.  It makes me happy when things fall in line, or when something positive happens and it coincides with something else. I'm particularly pleased when I come up with a blog idea that relates back to something that I have written about previously.  I suppose it's because I feel like I'm expanding on an idea or thought that I've shared before and I'm crazy about the continuity. 

When I posted "100 MORE Random Things About Me," # 11 was I get great joy out of using a coupon; and today I TOTALLY did.  To the tune of $52.38 in savings.  OK, OK, not all of the $52.38 was due to coupons; BUT I did use a lot more than I usually do and coupled with buying items that were already on sale; I managed to save MORE than half of what I spent.  Woohoo!!

Today I fancied myself quite the domestic goddess; if I do say so myself.  I balanced my check book; paid bills, did laundry, cleaned my kitchen, dropped off my City of Peoria bill, vacuumed, got a hair cut, and went to the supermarket; where this big,(yes) HUGE savings occurred. 

Now although I typically review all of the flyers before I go to the grocery store; and I attempt to arm myself with as many coupons as possible; today was an extraordinarily, lucky day for me; because I found things that were on sale, that I actually needed; AND I had coupons for many of them.  So even though I don't typically buy Bounty paper towel - when I only had to pay seven cents for a roll; I sure did.  I also had a coupon for Kroger brand waffles, and they were on sale for .99 so I bought a box of ten for .54 rather than Eggo for $2 something.  Honey Nut Cheerios and Cinnamon Toast Crunch were on sale for $1.97 each and I had a coupon for $1.00 off 2 boxes; so I added those to my cart.  I had a coupon for Charmin (which I don't usually buy) and it was on sale; so when all was said and done; a 12 pack cost less than the same quantity of the store's brand.  Shall I go on??  I typically pay about $3.50 for the spray that I use to give that scrunchy, curl to my hair.  Fry's had it on sale 2 for $5.00 and I had a $1.00 off coupon; SCORE!  Dawn dish detergent was on sale for $1.99 and I had a .25 coupon that they took $1.00 off for; making the dish soap a mere .99; I also had a coupon for .75 off of finish power tabs; they took off $1.00 from the sale price of $5.29 for 32 tabs; so I paid only $4.29.  Safeway had the same on sale for $4.99 and I thought that was good; but I'll take the additional .70 savings; thank you. Another impressive purchase, was Tropicana Orange juice.  It was on sale for $2.49 and I had a $1 coupon for that too.  SWEET! I could go on; you know I could, but the last coupon that I'll tell you about was my biggest savings of all.  During the soccer season, the sister of one of Luis' players was selling a coupon book for $20 and it had at least $20 worth of savings for Fry's alone; so we thought that any additional coupons would just be a bonus.  Tonight I used the first of my Fry's coupons from the book and got $5 off of my total purchase. OH JOY!  I was giddy all the way home as I recalled the checker saying, your total is $94.97 and your total savings was $52.38  I couldn't wait to tell Luis.

I've always admired people who can save money through "Coupon Sense." I tried it for a couple of months, many years ago; but I just didn't have the time to go to all of the different markets.  Now that Fry's is honoring competitor's coupons, it's a lot easier for me to save money. YAY Fry's!

I still have a little more shopping to do for the week, because Fry's doesn't price match like Super Wal-mart does. I honestly don't mind going to one more store though; because it will ensure that I keep more pennies in my pocket. I like that!
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING             

No comments: