Sunday, April 10, 2011

(43-257) The Best Medicine EVER

This weekend I had to do something that I rarely do... take it easy.   Last week I wasn't feeling that well, but I was convinced that it was my allergies.  By Friday night, my nose was running all over the place and I had a wicked sore throat.  That's right, I did just date myself and say wicked, but that's the most accurate description I can think of.  On Saturday morning I took my kids to a roller skating lesson, and even though it's typically chilly at Great Skate; I was beyond cold.  I had a long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt on, and Jenny lent me hers too; which I put over my legs.  We wound up leaving an hour and a half before the session was due to end and we went straight home so I could lie down.

I had four blankets on top of me, in addition to the clothing that I'd described, but I just couldn't get warm.  We took my temperature and I had 101, and later that afternoon 101.5  I cancelled my plans for the night; which I never do, unless someone else is sick; and I rested on the couch for the rest of the day and all through the evening.

I'm still not feeling well today, but my temp has gone down.  It was 100.2 the last time that I took it.  Even though I had the Flu in February, I typically don't get sick very often, so when I do, it makes my kids a little nervous.  When I was contemplating the topic for tonight's blog, I thought it would be interesting to have my kids share their thoughts on me being sick, and this is what they had to say:

Kelsie (age 7): "I feel horrible that my mommy is sick because I love her and I don't want anything bad to happen to her.  When my mommy told us that we were going to leave skating because she wasn't feeling well, I cried because I felt bad that she was sick. When we got home I offered to make my mommy  lunch but she wasn't hungry.  I offered to snuggle with her but she said that she was too cold to move and I felt very sad.  I love my mommy and I care for her very much.  I'll do anything to help my mommy feel better."

Lyndzi (age 9):  "I think it's scary when my mom gets sick because she doesn't get sick that often.  I would do anything to make her feel better.  I made a nest out of blankets for mom and I stayed home with her when my dad went to help his friend paint his house.  When my dad got home, I asked him if he would blow up our Aerobed so that me and Kelsie could both snuggle with with mom, and he did.    I hope that my mom feels better soon.  I love my mom with all my heart."

Nicky (age 11, OK, almost 12):  "I don't like when my mom gets sick.  I feel bad when she's not feeling well; because I love her and it can be a little frightening.  Yesterday at the roller rink she told me that she didn't feel good and I said that we could leave at any time and I asked if I could help with anything.  Once we got home I let my mom rest and I tried to help her as much as possible.  I hope my mom gets better soon."

What my kids didn't want to verbalize, is that because my parents passed away young, even though I only have a cold, it worries them.  I think that if I got sick more often, they wouldn't be as concerned.  Even though the last thing that I want to do is worry them, it truly shows me how much they love and care for me; and that's the best medicine EVER. 
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

No comments: