Friday, October 8, 2010

(43-73) Barbecue Egg Rolls...

Last Saturday night, we went to my friend Arlene's house for dinner and game night.  We usually get together with Arlene and her family once every two months or so, give or take; and we alternate homes, with the host being responsible for dinner.  So last week Arlene made what she called Chinese tacos, although I think Mexican egg rolls may have been a better name since essentially what she made was egg rolls with taco meat filling.
The egg rolls were tasty, and my culinary wheels started turning.  I thought of several other possible egg roll fillings; with shredded pork landing at the top of my list.  Off of the top of my head, I can't recall what inspired me to start making pulled pork this past spring (ahh, there's that memory thing again;) but nonetheless, I created my own barbecued shredded pork recipe, which I've now made a number of times; and received rave reviews.  One of the best things about making pulled pork is that you always have AT LEAST one night of leftovers and it's a very versatile meat.  The first night that I serve it, I make a salad with shredded pork for myself, and the rest of my fam usually enjoys it with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.  On subsequent nights, I've made shredded pork nachos, or quesadillas or served it on a bun; so I thought "why not fill an egg roll with it?"


Now for those of you who don't eat pork; you can certainly substitute any other filling; so don't give up on this idea just yet.  I would recommend the taco meat filling; maybe even with  bit of shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese.  You could also use shredded beef (brisket) or chicken, or fajita chicken or beef, onions and all I'd think; or anything that you may have leftover; heck, I may even be so bold as to suggest apple pie filling for a sweet twist; and of course you could do a traditional vegetable egg roll, which wouldn't be bad either.
I bought the egg roll wrappers at Super Wal-Mart, but I know they sell them elsewhere as well.  I found the egg roll wrappers in the produce section, of all places and they do need to be refrigerated.  A package of 20 wrappers cost just $2.78 plus tax; which certainly helped make it a cost effective dinner.


OK, so I know a lot of you are probably doubtful that you could make egg rolls, because it can sound a bit intimidating, but take it from me; it couldn't have been easier.  Luis Googled "How to make egg rolls" using videos; and he found a quick tutorial.  But even if you don't want to go that far; there are simple instructions on the back of the package.  Basically you place the wrapper down diagonally, put 2 spoonfuls of your desired filling, fold the point closest to you, over the filling; tuck both ends in and continue to roll until you dab a bit of egg on the end and seal the wrapper.  Voilà! a perfect egg roll.



Now I wouldn't suggest preparing this dinner the night before a cholesterol test, because you will have to briefly fry the egg rolls; and by briefly I mean about 1 to 2 minutes, because if your oil is hot enough, they will turn a delicious, crisp, golden color in no time. 
I served our "barbecue egg rolls" with sweet and sour sauce, but I could have just as easily served barbecue sauce, salsa, guacamole or both.  Depending on your filling, you chose your accompaniments accordingly.  I served the egg rolls with a salad but any vegetable would have worked nicely and if you're interested in a side dish, since rice is a staple of both Mexican and Chinese food, I think that would be a safe bet.

In the interest of brevity (yes, brevity;) I'm not going to give you my pork recipe now; but if you're interested in it, leave me a comment or email me and I'll be happy to share my process with you.
If you try the egg rolls; I hope that enjoy them.  Wishing you apetito bueno!!
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Yummmmmmmmmm! :):):)):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

Sounds great!! I might give this a try....but I wonder if you could "not fry" the egg rolls? Bake/Broil them maybe? Probably not....