Wednesday, October 20, 2010

(43-85) Best Of Both Worlds

I am VERY excited, like I can't wait, excited; for next weeks episode of "GLEE."  Now I've told you several times that I am a total GLEEK.  But couple my love of "GLEE" with one of my all time favorite movies, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show;" and throw in director / choreographer Adam Shankman; and I am over the moon!!
For those of you who haven't heard; the Halloween episode of "GLEE" has the students performing "Rocky Horror; and the guest director is Adam Shankman; my fave judge on "So You Think You Can dance."  I ask you; can it get better than this.  All 3 elements of this combo put a great big smile on my face; I mean like big ole, ear to ear grin; beaming with happiness, smile.

Back in the day I was a Big (say it with me) "Huge," "Rocky Horror" fan.  I never dressed up; I left that to my brother; who weekly would portray the sweet transvestite himself; Dr. Frank N. Furter.  And for those of you who know my brother but didn't know this tidbit about him, go ahead and pick your jaws up off the floor now; I'll wait.
Anyway, all it took was one viewing and I was hooked.  I loved the music; and the audience participation (hmm, maybe that's why I'm such a big fan of The Shout House - our local, dueling piano bar.)  And the fact that the film was shown at midnight just made it all the more exciting as a teen.  Now there'd be no way I'd stay up long enough to make it to a midnight movie.

If by some chance you've never seen "Rocky Horror," let me give you a quick synopsis.  Susan Sarandon (yes, Academy Award winner, Susan Sarandon,) plays Janet Weiss; an innocent, young woman who gets engaged to nerdy, Brad Majors (Barry Bostwick.)  They are driving home from their friend's wedding on a cold and rainy, November evening and a flat tire causes them to stop at the castle of Transvestite, Dr. Frank N. Furter; played impeccably by Tim Curry.  Well,  Frank has been in the process of creating the perfect, male specimen; (Rocky) who he'd planned to introduce that evening at the Transylvanian convention that he's hosting.  Janet and Brad have to spend the night at the castle with a diverse cast of characters (most of whom we find out are from another planet.)  Frank tries to be a hospitable host; and tucks Janet into bed (if you now what I mean;) he then does the same for Brad and when Janet finds out, she decides to take the virile, Rocky for a test drive.   Well suffice it to say that when Frank becomes aware of this, there is hell to pay; just as there was for his ex-boyfriend; Eddy (played by Meatloaf.)  OK, I've said enough.  If you've never seen this, it probably sounds like a ridiculous, train wreck; or the b-rate science fiction / horror film parody that it was intended to be.  If I was watching it for the very, first time now; I don't know that I could sit through it; BUT given my history with this flick; it's a movie that I can never pass up; and watching the Glee cast recreate it, will be a pleasure.  I know it won't be THE SAME; but in a lot of ways; it will be even better.

I've known about this highly, anticpated "Glee" episode for a few weeks now; but I'm all fired up about it tonight; because a facebook friend posted the link for the "Glee" version of "The Timewarp." AND, in the interest of (say it with me;) "The greater good."  I'm going to share it with you.
Now it seems only fair (being the Queen of FAIRNESS that I am) to also share a link from the original, cult classic "The Rocky Horror Picture show."   I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I do and I'm sure I'll have a comment or two after next week's "GLEE."                                 
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING


3 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh a true fan will get this one... "Damnit Janet!"... heheheheheheh.. I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that MOVIE!! I used to go see it down on Mill Ave. and hehehehehe.. never ever say you are a virgin at that movie! LOL :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Naomi said...

You know I can't wait! I agree with everything you said- and how did the Adam Shankman connection escape me? That just adds to my excitementt.

Joni Parker said...

I too am a RHPS fan!! Went 100's of times as a teen in Columbus Ohio (what else is a kid to do on a Friday/Saturday night ... especially when the reason let's you stay out past midnight!!) -- Reading your story description made me think that the movie does sound silly...but that's the heart of it, isn't it!!? -- I'll have to watch the clips from home, my work computer blocks those.