Sunday, October 10, 2010

(43-75) Master Chef Marathon

Luis and I are as different as night and day, when it comes to our taste in TV shows and movies. Suffice it to say that it is rare that we are both interested in the same movie or TV show, so when we are; it is a cause for celebration.
Luis usually likes to watch CNN, MSNBC, Boxing, Soccer and the Discovery channel.  In fact, I can't tell you how many times he's watched the documentary on the Stick-Dick tribe.  I on the other hand, STILL watch "General Hospital," which confounds him no end; and I delight in my dancing and cooking shows too.

Well, in the past couple of weeks, I have managed to get Luis hooked on a few of my faves. Although he's not quite a Gleek yet; he has liked what he's seen; and has even commented on a number of occasions, that he thinks that they sound better than the originals.   He's definitely, devoted to "Jersey Shore;" and I actually have a theory on why it is, that  we like it so much.  I'm now convinced that the reason that we find it so delectable is because it's very similar to "The Hangover;" in as much as you are shocked by what these numnuts do; and you never know what to expect; so that's my answer and I'm sticking to it.
 
Lastly, when I wrote "Reality Check," I told you that I'd DVR'd but had yet to watch "Master Chef."   So the other night,  Luis and I were checking to see if we had anything DVR'd that we could agree to watch and I suggested "Master Chef;" but he wasn't interested.  I reminded him that HE had asked me to record this show after seeing a commercial for it; so he reluctantly acquiesced; and gave it a try.  Once we got past the auditions we found the show compelling; and we have been watching nothing else for the past couple of days.  I have to say that I'm positively, pleased that we're watching it via marathon; this way we don't have to wait a whole week to see it again.
Neither Luis nor I had watched "Hell's Kitchen," so we weren't very familiar with Gordon Ramsay; but we like him.  He seems very fair and caring in his own way.  Much like "The Great Food Truck Race," we've been cheering out loud for our favorite contestants and even though our tastes don't often coincide for shows, when it comes to people; we are in total agreement.  Neither of us finds arrogance attractive and we've been annoyed by a couple of the contestants who were cocky and rude; and ultimately this caused us to root for the contestants who were perceived as the underdogs.  In one group challenge the underdogs truly had the better food; but because they ran out of food they lost the challenge.  In the next challenge, most of the same people were on the underdog team (even though in reality a lot of them were stronger contestants;) and the team who thought that they were "better;" behaved in a manner that was repulsive.  The challenge involved making burgers for truck drivers.  Each team needed to come up with one kind of burger; and then make 100 of them; and the truckers would cast a vote for their favorite; and the first team to get 51 votes would win.  Well the team who thought that they were all that and a bag o chips, made a run of the mill burger, with cheese, butter lettuce, tomato, onion and cole slaw.  The underdogs made a burger with Swiss cheese, bacon, sauteed onions, and a chipotle barbecue sauce on a toasted bun that had a bit of bacon flavor.  Can you guess who won?  The winner as it should have been was the underdogs; and my mouth watered for their burger something fierce.  I begged Luis to go to Red Robin for dinner after watching this episode, but he promised to make burgers tomorrow instead and the frugal side of me folded.  Luis and I discussed this challenge and he commented "These are truckers, of course they're going to like bacon; it's not like they were making burgers for Rabbi's;" and I almost peed my pants.  Oh my god,  sometimes Luis is just TOO funny!  Just like when he told me that he knows that I like this one contestant because he looks like Maks from "Dancing With the Stars."  HAHAHA, well he was right about one thing; I do like this one contestant because of what he looks like; but even I hadn't made teh correlation between he and Maks, until Luis pointed it out - and he is SO right! YUM!!  I don't feel guilty though, because Luis' favorite contestant just so happens to be a woman (a very young woman at that.)  I don't mind though; because I do like her too.

Needless to say, I have to finish up tonight's post so that I can go catch one more episode of "Master Chef" before I go to sleep.  So I'll leave you with this.  If you eat up the cooking shows; and you haven't watched "Master Chef;" see if you can catch it online, because it is nothing short of slendiferous.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

hehehehehe....brian and i only have a couple of shows we both like...probably the biggest one is 'big bang theory' :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

John & I both love all the Top Chefs..(including the Master Chef)..and we also watched the Truck Race... I'm a reality TV & Food Network Junkie. However, I don't watch the Housewives, Jersey Shore or Glee.... Not sure why?