Saturday, October 9, 2010

(43-74) Ladies Night

Tonight was bittersweet. I went to a ladies night dinner, to celebrate the birthdays of my friends, Kara and Tiffany; and also to say goodbye to Tiffany; since she and her family are moving to Alabama next Saturday.

I met Kara and a number of other ladies in 2000 when I started taking a 10 month old, Nicky to Gymboree. Kara then introduced me to her old friend, Tiffany; and we've all been friends ever since. Well, a few weeks ago Tiffany called to tell me that she and her family were relocating to Alabama.  Although I'll miss her a lot, I told her that I was VERY excited for her and that I thought this was going to be a great opportunity for them.

Tiff told me that Kara had suggested having a girl's night to celebrate both of their birthdays and say goodbye and I told her that I wouldn't miss it. Kara called a few days later and told me that she thought that we should go to a Mexican restaurant since Tiff really likes Mexican and she didn't think she'd be getting much Mex in Alabama. Kara thought that our celebration should occur at someplace a little nicer than an ass burrito, so she chose Abuelos.  I'd only been to Abuelos once before, many years ago; but I remembered that I didn't like it; which is why I hadn't been back. I must admit, that as much as I wanted to see Tiffany, Kara and the other ladies; was as much as I didn't want to go to Abuelos; but I'm still working on making some of those subtle changes to my personality; so I kept my displeasure to myself.

Lyndzi had a soccer scrimmage today, and I saw my friend Jenny. I told her that I was going to Abuelos, because I knew that she had been there fairly, recently and that she enjoyed it.  I asked her for a recommendation, and Jenny told me about the Mahi Mahi dish that she usually gets. She said it had a delicious, white wine sauce that had some shrimp and spinach in it, and she described it so well that my mouth was watering.

I went to Abuelos, looking forward to seeing my friends and trying their food again. The menu was vast and enticing; and I had a difficult time deciding what to order; shocker I'm sure.  I was torn between the fish that Jenny had mentioned and a shredded beef burrito with chile con queso. The waitress came back several times before we were all ready to order and Queen of INDECISION that I am; I asked her to come back to me last. Kara ordered the Haddock, and I asked Tiff what she was going to order. Tiffany ordered the burrito that I had been contemplating and ultimately, I decided that I had to order the same because if I ordered Jenny's fish, but Tiffany's burrito looked good; I would regret my choice, (stop laughing;) so I went with the burrito.  Apparently I didn't pay close enough attention to the menu because after Tiffany ordered, I heard her say something about an enchilada and when I asked her about it, she said "well I don't like tamales so I'm getting an enchilada." I had no idea what she was talking about; until I looked at the menu and noticed that my burrito was actually part of a combo that came with a tamale. I asked the waitress what kind of tamale it was; and she said ground beef, and even though I enjoy tamales; this didn't sound like something that I needed to wast my time with; so I asked if I could have a chile relleno instead; since they allowed substitutions and teh chile relleno was one of the choices that I had been contemplating. The waitress gave me a choice of a cheese chile relleno or shredded beef; so I asked which she preferred; she said shredded beef and that's what I ordered. There was a choice for a side dish as well, rice, beans or Papas con chile; which was described as whipped red potatoes with four cheeses, red and green peppers, sour cream and the perfect touch of jalapeno and garlic.  YUM!
Our food arrived and it was far better than I had remembered.  Kara had to send her Haddock back because it was extremely salty, and her rice was ice cold; so she opted for Jenny's Mahi Mahi instead.  I tasted Kara's dish; and Jenny was right; the sauce was exquisite.

Dinner was delightful!  It had been a very, long time since I'd gone out with these ladies and I was reminded of how nice it was to spend time together; even though ,sadly, we were getting ready to say goodbye to one of pals.  During dinner we planned to get all of our kids together on Monday so that we can all see Tiffany and her kids one last time; so I chose not to dwell on Tiff's departure, tonight.

It was an easy going, enjoyable evening; and I'm so glad that I went; and gave Abuelos another try.  I was proud of myself for keeping my mouth shut when Kara proposed Abuelos for dinner, because the old me would have offered up an alternative for sure.  And my change in behavior paid off, because I had a good dinner and a lovely night.  I guess sometimes old dogs can really learn new tricks.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Awwwwwwwww sounds like a fun time with your friends! :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

Sounds like a great time with good friends. We enjoy Abuelo's but only got there about 1x per year ...