Monday, October 18, 2010

(43-83) Taking Care Of Business

I don't know why it's always so much easier for me to put  everyone else's needs before mine.  If I know that one of my kids or Luis needs something done; I'm Jenny on the spot; and I'm trying to be better about taking care of  myself as well. 
October is the month that I typically have my physical and mammogram; and I have both of those scheduled.  I always take both exams very seriously and this year ESPECIALLY.  My physical is on Wednesday; and I wouldn't say that I'm nervous, because like I've said before; other than being overweight, I believe that I'm in perfect health.  BUT, I really don't want to have to address my weight with the doctor; since I KNOW what I need to do.  My mammogram will be one week later; and I'm not concerned about that either; because I'm sure that as always, everything will be fine.  So OK, I've got the physical covered and the mammogram attended to; so what's that leave; ahh yes; the dreaded, dentist.
As much as I fear, hate, despise, going to the dentist; I do go for my check up and cleaning every six months.  My last check up was in July, and I was told that I had a tiny cavity in one tooth.  Now if the kid's dentist had told me this about one of them; I would have scheduled an appointment on the spot, and for as soon as possible; but because it was for me; I put it off.  Now don't get me wrong, I didn't BLOW IT OFF, I just didn't make an appointment; but not doing so was very much on my mind; since I am the Queen of FOLLOWING THE RULES; and I knew that this was something that I had to do.
Fearing that the cavity would get worse, the longer that I let it go; I decided that it was time to take care of business; and I made the appointment for this morning, at 8am.

Although I still go to the office of the dentist that I wrote about in "A New Crown For The Queen;"  I now, see Dr. V; and she is the kindest, most gentle, dentist that I have ever met.  Dr. V and her assistant, Laura; always go out of their way to make sure that I am comfortable because they know that I have a larger than average dental anxiety.  I've mentioned before that going to the dentist is excruciating for me because, due to problematic sinuses I'm a mouth breather; I have a physically small mouth; AND I have a terrible, fear of needles.  Add all of these things up and they do NOT spell good dental patient; although I try; I really do; and I have gotten better.

Today's filling was actually rather speedy.  I was out of the office within 45 minutes and that includes the extra time that I spent chatting with Dr. V and Laura. They seem to find me amusing; and you know that any time I have a responsive audience; I'm just like the Energizer Rabbit; I keep going and going and going...
I won't go into any details about the filling etc; because really, who wants to read about that; but suffice it to say, that if you live in my area and you're in need of a dentist; I highly recommend Dr. V at Your Family Dentist which is at 83rd Avenue and Cactus; in the Safeway shopping Center.  If you have any questions; feel free to email me.

So, what have I learned today.  Once again I've been reminded that things aren't always as bad as we seem.  I was apprehensive about going to the dentist, but in the long run; it really wasn't bad at all and I wasted precious time being nervous about it.  I also reminded myself that just as I'm responsible to take care of my family; I also have to take care of myself; because I am just as important as they are #1 and #2, if I'm ill or less than; then I'm not going to be as helpful and available to them.  I hope that you all  realize the same.  Take care of YOUR business; so that you can be the best you that you can be.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

1 comment:

Joni Parker said...

Thanks for the reminder...I need to schedule a couple of appointments myself!!