Sunday, October 3, 2010

(43-68) Quality Time With Kelsie

Kelsie is a PIP, there's no doubt about it.  She is probably the most complex of my 3 kids; because with Nicky and Lyndzi, whatchya see is pretty much what ya get; but Kelsie is another story altogether.  Kelsie is the most challenging of the 3.  Although they all are extremely, bright; Kelsie has a mind like a steel trap and she is ALWAYS thinking.
Kelsie will argue with you with inconceivable, conviction for a six year old; and  she will also defend anyone who she believes is in need of assistance.  Despite the fact that she's the youngest of my three kids; Kelsie is typically their spokesperson.  She has little to no fear of anything; from the word "no" to a speeding roller coaster.  Nothing is high enough or fast enough for Kelsie; (she must get that from her Titi Michele;) because both Luis and I are wimps when it comes to height and speed and Nicky and Lyndzi aren't much better.  Nicky and I will at least ride Space Mountain at Disneyland; but Luis and Lyndzi wouldn't even consider it; and then there's Kelsie!!
I've written before about Kelsie's antics and strong will; but I've also shared stories about her kind heart; and profound compassion.  Kelsie makes life interesting for sure and her unpredictability constantly keeps us on our toes. 
Kelsie and I spend more ALONE time together than my other kids and I do; because Kelsie likes to go shopping with me.  Part of me thinks that she wants to accompany me because she thinks she can talk me into getting her something; but the other part of me sincerely believes that she comes along so that I won't be alone.  Now even though Kelsie and I spend a great deal of time together, today was something special.
All 3 kids had been invited to spend the night at my friend Arlene's house; but Luis and I didn't think that Kelsie was ready to; so only Nicky and Lyndzi stayed.  Kelsie understood that the time wasn't right for her and that we didn't think that Nicky and Lyndzi had to forfeit the opportunity, just because she is six; but on the ride home, Kelsie cried inconsolably.  Luis and I reminded her that I had promised to take her out to breakfast today and that the kids would be home in the afternoon; but she was still very sad and cried throughout taking her shower.  I went to check on her and as she sobbed, she asked if we could talk about it in the morning.  I cuddled with her until she fell asleep and in the morning she asked if we could cuddle again.  While we were holding each other on the couch, Kelsie explained that she had been crying because she wasn't / isn't used to being home without Nicky and Lyndzi and she missed them.  She explained quite eloquently, that even when Nicky is on the computer in the other room, she still knows that he's here; and that Lyndzi is her constant companion and she doesn't like being without her.  My heart smiled; and I embraced Kelsie; my sage, six year old. 

Kelsie and I went to breakfast at Mimi's cafe.  She had won a super student award last year, and this seemed like a great opportunity to collect her free meal.  Mimi's was very crowded, as it usually is on a Sunday morning.  I asked how long the wait would be and the hostess said 15-20 minutes; which we didn't think was bad; but just as Kelsie and I were helping ourselves to complimentary fruit punch and coffee; the hostess called my name.  I couldn't believe it because there was no way that more than 2 minutes had elapsed since we'd been given our pager; but we were the only "Paige" to walk up to the hostess station; and so we were promptly seated.
Kelsie used her best restaurant manners and politely ordered chocolate chip pancakes and milk.  She shared the coffee cake muffin that came with my quiche; and we zestfully, played Tic Tac Toe.  After finishing breakfast Kels and I went for pedicures and she sat most cordially, as her feet were being cared for.  Kelsie was sociable and courteous and she conducted herself like a little lady. I couldn't have been prouder.

We called Arlene after completing our pedicures, and she said that the kids were having a great time playing; so there was no need to rush to pick them up.  Even though Kelsie was anxious to see her brother and sister; she graciously agreed that we'd do our grocery shopping before going to get them.  Kelsie was on her best behavior while we were in the store and I told her how much I'd enjoyed our special day together and she said that she had as well.

We picked up Nicky and Lyndzi and shared stories of our time apart.  Kelsie was very eager to play with Lyndzi and they laughed and entertained themselves until dinner was ready. 

Kelsie and I had a very full day.  It was wonderful to enjoy her company without being challenged or exasperated; and I think that she felt the same way, because when she came to kiss me goodnight; she said "Good night my sweet, little pumpkin;"  and once again; my heart smiled.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is soooooooooo sweet!! Glad you two had some quality time together! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Phoenix Carrie said...

Kelsie, you are amazing. I am so proud of the young lady you are becoming and I am so proud to be one of your godmothers and your Auntie. You are funny, strong, perceptive, helpful, considerate, and YES, at times, a PIP!!! But it's what makes you special and remarkable. You will do great things in this life, I have no doubt about it. Love, Auntie Michelle