Monday, October 4, 2010

(43-69) You Know You Have A Problem When...#8

You Know You Have A Problem When you keep repeating the SAME mistake.  Now this is not to be confused with Albert Einstein's definition of insanity; "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."  No; THIS is a legitmate lapse; because apparently I have some kind of mental block when it comes to Kelsie's soccer team name.  The Torpedos,The Torpedos,YES; I KNOW it's The Torpedos; but did that stop me from referring to the team as the Tornados when I called the parents to schedule our first practice?  OF COURSE NOT... I must also admit, that I wrote Luis a little script to use when he called the parents; and on his script I called the team The Tornados.  Did he call the team the Tornados?  I don't know, because he made his calls from another room and I didn't realize my error until he'd already gone to work.  I have to laugh though, because I called Luis to let him know that I had emailed the parents, and that I mentioned that I MIGHT have said the wrong team name in my message; and so I gave them a heads up in the email just in case; and Luis asked, "Why do you have so much trouble with this name?"  He then advised, "Just think of war before you say the name."  REALLY?  Think of war?  I'm supposed to think of war before I cheer for my six year olds, soccer team and say "Go Torpedos"?  For some reason I don't see that happening.  I don't usually think of ANYTHING before I say something; perhaps THAT'S part of my problem... 
Hmm?  What's that you say?  Freudian slip?  Did I REALLY think the team name should have been The Tornados?  Well, it's totally irrelevant, because it wasn't my decision to make; but if I don't get a handle on this, I definitely stand to embarrass myself (and my family) a lot further. 
I think the reason that I'm so flustered about my recurrent faux pas; is that I'm good with names.  I AM good with names.  OK, well, I used to be good with names.  I never had a problem learning people's names and remembering them.  From being a camp counselor, to a Freshman Student Assistant; to Student Government President, A Coffeehouse Manager, going to Gymboree playgroup, kid's classes and soccer teams; I always recalled people's names very easily; UNTIL RECENTLY. 

When I wrote "Full day, Full heart..." I accidentally called Joni, Jodi; but I SWEAR that was only a typo.  Sadly, what wasn't a typo was when I emailed my friend Jen and referred to her daughter by the wrong name.  Yes, the name that I wrote started with an F and ended with an A, just like Jen's daughter's name does; but other than the F and the A; it was undeniably the wrong name.  Jen was so polite and tried to make me feel better about my blunder; but I felt very badly.  So what do I do?  Well I write a blog about it of course; and call attention to my mistakes all over again; because obviously I HAVE A PROBLEM! Clearly, I find it necessary to share my slipups with you for some unexplainable reason. I don't know really; maybe I feel the need to write about these bungles because sometimes I just amaze myself; or possibly, it's all in the interest of (say it with me) "The Greater Good."  Maybe I just want to give you a good laugh and show you that EVERYONE makes mistakes; ESPECIALLY the Queen of EVERYTHING; although I don't quite think that I'm Queen of MISTAKES just yet.  Nope, NOT ME! "
Now don't get me wrong; I'm not castigating myself for any of these mess ups; but if my memory isn't as reliable as it's been in the past; it is going to take some getting used to; because this was never how I rolled before.  Once upon a time, I was The Queen of MEMORY; and that's a title that I'd like to hold onto for a little while longer. 
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING          

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Funny you mention the Jodi/Joni reference...the girl that sits next to me at work ...her name is JODI and she reminds me sooooooooo much of JONI...that I just know I am gonna call one of them the wrong name one time!! LOL :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

Ok..at least you get close with names. I see someone that I KNOW that I know and can't figure out where or their name....and it's someone that I know well!! That's embarassing! I'm terrible with names and faces...and I didn't used to be that way either!! I love the Kelsie & color posts..I read them, just getting caught up from a crazy little boy birthday weekend!!