Thursday, October 7, 2010

(43-72) The Piano Man

My kid's had early out from school today and I went on campus to pick them up; because I had to drop some soccer paperwork in the office.  While I was waiting to round up my crew, I was talking to my friend Shannon about my "Santa and The Fairies" post and we discussed the "Glee" episode that started the whole conversation off.  We agreed that it wasn't our favorite episode, but we both loved Puck's rendition of Billy Joel's "Only The Good Die Young."

While I was driving Nicky and his friend Wyatt home from soccer practice, I was trying to think of a blog topic for tonight.   I replayed my day in my head; and recalled my conversation with Shannon, and immediately I knew, that tonight I would share my Top 5 Billy Joel songs.

I went to my first Billy Joel concert in 1984 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.  There was such a demand for these concert tickets that they actually held a lottery, and my friend Melissa won 5th row seats.  Billy Joel put on such an amazing concert that I went back to see him at least 2 more times.  (Uggh; there's that memory thing again.)   Not only did I have the pleasure of attending Mr. Joel's concerts; but I also met him twice.  The first time, I met him briefly, when he gave a speech at my college, and the second time I didn't exactly MEET him; but he and Christie Brinkley sat behind me and my girlfriends at the Southampton movie theater for a showing of "Earth Girls Are Easy."  YES, I said "Earth Girls Are Easy;"  staring Academy Award winner - Geena Davis, Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans; to name a few.  Sorry Mr. Joel; I didn't mean to out you as a B rate movie goer - but I digress.
What I LOVE about Billy Joel's music, is that it is just that; MUSIC!  Although he is undeniably, The Piano Man; I think that it's fair to say that he truly is The Music Man!!
The songs that I've chosen showcase prodigious, piano stylings, scintillating, saxophone solos and unparalleled lyrics.  Billy Joel is a poet, a composer and a showman and I wholeheartedly believe that his transcendental, talent is beyond compare.
I hope you enjoy my top 5 Billy Joel songs.
Till next time...
Queen of EVERYTHING

Only The Good Die Young
Vienna
Scenes from An Italian Restaurant
Sometimes A Fantasy
Miami 2017 (I've seen the lights go down on Broadway)

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee him!! I saw him and Elton John together last year in Philly!! BESTEST concert EVER! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Joni Parker said...

Hey...I saw him and Elton John together at OSU stadium 18 years ago! They were awesome!!